Update the descriptions for the SNES emulator downloads page.

Given that Byuu has achieved his goal of 100% emulator accuracy and bsnes now properly runs every SNES game that was ever commercially released, I wanted to know if EZ would update the descriptions for a few of the emulator pages to reflect this. While the download links for each program are up-to-date, the descriptions are decrepit. The page for ZSNES showers it in praise despite all of its issues (granted, it was the best at the time), and the bsnes one has a single line about accuracy and features an image from over 5 or 6 years ago (along with a typo).

Further thoughts of mine are in the thread I posted in the SNES emulation forum. It can be found here.

Given my concern of the community's awareness and perception of this situation, I even wrote up my own descriptions for the pages that you may use if you have any hesitation with the idea of changing them after so long.

---

Sample ZSNES description:

Being one of the first projects to support a wide range of games, ZSNES has become one of the most popular options for Super Nintendo emulation. Its ability to emulate some of the more complex Super Nintendo features and hardware (such as the SuperFX chip) and its small memory footprint make the program a great choice for most players. The emulator also boasts other features, such as 44.1khz audio (and various effects), movie creation, a plethora of video filters, and netplay (prior to version 1.5.1). ZSNES supports a wide variety of games and generally has less slowdown than the console itself.

The latest release is designed for 32-bit windows. Ports exist for both DOS and Linux.

Higher resolution ZSNES screenshot (the current one seems so tiny compared to the page itself): http://i.imgur.com/HnmuU.png

---

Sample bsnes description:

Taking a different stance on Super Nintendo emulation, bsnes is an emulator that has dedicated itself to 100% accurate emulation. Unlike other emulators that often put the most effort towards the most popular games on their respective platform, bsnes aims to have every game run exactly as it would on a real console. As of version 0.87, it has accomplished this! bsnes currently offers 100% compatibility with every official Super Nintendo game that was ever commercially released.

Unfortunately, accurate emulation comes at a cost in system requirements, which are pretty steep compared to the majority of other programs. However, it runs perfectly fine on an average system (as of 2012), provided the user has at least an Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) and a dedicated video card. To alleviate this problem, bsnes comes in two separate packages; a compability profile (listed as 32-bit) and an accuracy profile (listed as 64-bit). Those who don't have a powerful PC will likely want the former, as it still correctly emulates a large majority of games at a lower system cost. However, enthusiasts who value perfection will want to pick up the accuracy profile.

bsnes features OS X and Linux ports and also emulates both NES and Game Boy Color games.

Updated bsnes screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/kMXT4.png

Last edited:
Cool! I understand why you shortened the descriptions, but I would still let people know that 32-bit bsnes is meant for general gaming and 64-bit is meant for complete accuracy. The difference between the framerates of the two can be sharp for those with PCs that are a few years old.

Piemyboobia

Update the descriptions for the SNES emulator downloads page

I think the problem is is that alot of the new mods have no idea why the Hall of Fame is so important to us older members. You guys werent even here when that was going on.

I dont think that they should be in the Hall of Fame when most of them are less than a page. Put them in a nother foum in the Wicked Musical section, isnt that what it is for?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Update the descriptions for the SNES emulator downloads page

I am well aware of the accuracy profile that the 64bit bsnes has and it was probably a bad call from me not to include it (I use the 64 bit version myself as I have no frame issues!).

I added a small note:
Note: If for any reason you end up having frame rate issues while running the games with the 64bit version please use the 32bit one. The 64bit version is meant for more accurate emulation so it requires more processing power.