Which versions of MAME should I have for game compatability?

dylstew

use mame to play arcade games.
But some games I download only work on older versions of mame(And I don't know which)
I have mame commandline 145 and mame32 103.
Now I probably should get some other versions of MAME for the not working games right?(I know
about bios files,chd files and parent roms so it's really about the version)
Which versions of mame should all be on my PC?
I'm talking about the commandline releases btw,but if there are other mame 32's I'd rather have those :p

mrliquidkid

I think that the latest version should always be the most current and compatible, so this is very strange occurrence

Rodimus Primal

The thing about MAME is making sure the roms are updated along with the emulator since with EVERY release some of the games are tweaked to work differently. I have on my PC 455 working MAME roms and every time MAME updates I have to test to make sure ALL of them work after an audit and is tedious but worth the effort. Although I cannot post the link, the ROM site I use usually has the most up to date versions of the ROMS so if ClrMamePro doesn't update it properly for whatever reason I can get the current version.

TheVib

refer to each emulators forum as they will be more able to help you in this matter. if you get the mame32 like you said you have you shouldn't have any problem.