Emulator Problem: Help setting up Grandia I for Sony Playstation 1

aGMike

I do not know if this is the games problem or the emulator or just plain my fault but I cannot get the game to work. I downloaded the PSX_1.3 emulator for ps1.

I really need help. I would like to relive my childhood by playing Grandia again. If anyone can tell me a step by step way in order to get Grandia on my PC that would be very much helpful. For example if you could show me an emulator I need to get and the right CD/ROM to get and tell me how to set it up that would be awesome. I am sorry I am very new to all this. Thank you so much in advance :)

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Well, we can't tell you exactly where to get the game, but I can tell you right now that google can be your best friend, just look up the game and add on to it "ISO". There should be no problems finding a download. if you have any more difficulties just come by again and ask.

aGMike

Could you explain to me what "Adding it on the ISO" means. I am new to the emulator thing. I did find a download about 473 mb for first CD. Thanks for the help so far but I need some further explaining.

Thanks

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
since you found the game, that part doesn't quite matter, I was just suggesting that you search for the game like "(Game) Iso Download" Since you already found the game in question, just download it. If you already downloaded it, all you got to do is to open pSX and load the ISO. If it ends up being a file that ends with .ECM, you would decrypt it with ECM tools (http://www.neillcorlett.com/cmdpack/) so it becomes a regular ISO file. If you have any more questions, just ask.

aGMike

Thank you very much I will do that when I get home. I am at school atm :p

I will let you know if I have any more questions....

Thanks

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Also, don't forget to search for the Playstation bios file, all psx emulators need it.

aGMike

Okay so I searched that up and it turns out that the one I download is appearently an ISO but it shows up in a ZIP. So I need to get a Playstation bios file? If I were to get one how would I implement it.

aGMike

Alright so im at the bios download thing now I am unsure of which one to get. There are 4 options

PSX BIOS Pack (15 Images) 3.8Mb
PS One BIOS 470Kb
PSX_Bios_41a.zip 279Kb
PSX_Bios_SCPH1001.zip

Which one should I get ?

aGMike

Thank you very much. I mean I cannot actually thank you enough for what you have done for me. It is working I put the bios thing in the folder, i can finally relive my childhood. Thank you so much and I hope life brings you far. You deserve it. Thanks and take it easy :)

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
You are very welcome! Im always glad to help. :happy: Thanks for the request and happy gaming! :)

aGMike

Thanks. You as well. Btw what is your favourite game? I think mine has be Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time, Grandia, or Majoras Mask

aGMike

Alright I have another problem. Apparently I cannot save. It says I need a memory card and the quicksave thing does not work. Is there a fix for this?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Its relatively easy. For the memory card, go to File>Configuration. Click on the tab called Memory Cards. For slot 1, click on the button that is "..."
Type in the name you want the Memory Card file to be, and press open, then press apply.

For the quick states: Go to File>Configuration then go click on the paths tab. Click on the "..." next to the save states and pick where you want them to save, and thats it. :)

aGMike

So i did that and went into the game and recognized the memory card. I shut down for a bit and then I run it again. I go into Memory card and there is nothing there. I check configuration and it said "No memory card is set" I find this odd because I remember setting it. Then I go to the folder I made called "Emulator Saves" and thats what I called it in the config as well. Is there any certain spot I am supposed to put it?

Thanks

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
put it in "Cards" folder inside the pSX folder.
if it says it isn't formatted, let it format the card, it will be fine.