3D software emulator?

ramchaza

i have win98 but don't have a 3D video card. i see in some games the 3D software emulator, but does anyone know if i can get this? as a download? i did a search on goodle but so many topics, i didn't understand all the tech jargon.

i just want a 3D software emulator for my system so i can play games that are 3D! can anyone help me? thanks so much!!!

Jale

3D emulator??? 3D cannot be emulated without the proper hardware. Buy a 3D video card.

J

Jet Set Willy

Direct X and Open GL have software reference renderers. You don't need a 3D card to run 3D games (unless they do a check for certain amounts of video memory etc) but it will be very slow nonetheless, and not worth bothering with.

Jale

Originally posted by Jet Set Willy@Dec 16 2004, 03:37 AM
Direct X and Open GL have software reference renderers. You don't need a 3D card to run 3D games (unless they do a check for certain amounts of video memory etc) but it will be very slow nonetheless, and not worth bothering with.
In other words, software rendering. Awfully slow and crappy graphics :(

By the way Jet Set, is it DirectX or Direct3D? :huh: I don't get it...

J

Jet Set Willy

Software rendering can be very fast if done well. All early 3D games were software rendered - I'm talking before 1996 here. And bear in mind that computers were slower then... yet it still worked.

DirectX means all of the DirectX components together - DirectDraw, DirectShow, Direct3D etc.

Direct3D and DirectDraw were phased out a while ago, and are now called DirectGraphics.

Jale

DirectX means all of the DirectX components together - DirectDraw, DirectShow, Direct3D etc.
Already knew that...
Direct3D and DirectDraw were phased out a while ago, and are now called DirectGraphics.
Never heard of it :blink: