Game Problem: Dragon Quest VIII Emulation

Caldrumr

I am using the PCSX2 emulator for PS2. In the past, I have only used NES, SNES and N64 emulators. But I love the Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior series, and wanted to play the later games. I haven't had any problems with the emulator, and the game runs fine.
However, I was wondering if anyone could share some optimal settings for this game? The normal gameplay and the combat screens look great, but the cut scenes are terrible, blurry and pixelated for no apparent reason. Also, the text boxes and the information screens have odd white lines all over the place.
Is there a fix for this, or is that just par for the course running PS2 emulations?
Thanks in advance!

thelittlegumnut

well, depending on how bad the cutscenes really are, then in terms of graphics there really aren't many settings to toggle. most of the "hacks" are all about frame speed and some minor graphic changes but none will really change the cutscenes.

all you could really do is switch up the resolution but that will just slow things down unless your pc is really good. Maybe you could add filtering but as i said you could lose up to 10 fps which isn't worth it. Your lucky this is your only prob since most people fail to achieve a constant 60 fps or 50 fps for PAL. so yeah, you should be happy you can run full speed ;)

(also there are "extra" filtering checkboxes in the graphics that may help just use trial and error cause ive never had issues with this games cutscenes)

just make sure your using the newest version of pcsx2 and if you use directx11 than its faster and better.

one more thing, sometimes setting the "native" ps2 resolution will improve blurring/stretching/pixellation etc... give it a go i suppose. otherwise thats it.

Caldrumr

The game itself is super smooth. However, there are a lot of lines around text. I'm not sure how to explain that. I'll try posting an image link.

IamOGaAdh

The cutscenes are just terrible. Super blurry and pixelated. However, since the actual gameplay seems okay, and there are no sound issues, I'd be happy if I could just fix those text issues. It is an emulation after all. It is definitely running at full speed.
If there's nothing I can do, it's certainly playable. I just thought I'd check to see if there was perhaps something I was missing, like a setting or whatnot.
Thanks for the response!

thelittlegumnut

oh, dont worry about that, to be honest i was expecting it to be nearly unreadable like some games are on pcsx2.

thats just emulation for you, it will never be perfect. thats not anything but the emulators fault so your doing nothing wrong and if everything else is really good than you already have optimal settings. the image is similiar to what mine is like and most likely others. dw your running the game as best as it can possibly run nowadays in an emulator, one day the pcsx2 team may work on this area a bit more to perfect it but all in all dragon quest viii is one of the best games known to run very well on this emulator along with final fantasy xii but as i said before consider yourself lucky you can play this game full speed.

Basically your doing everything perfectly and you have nothing to worry about ;)

Last edited: