Running 16 bit software on a 64 bit machine

verlando

Since migrating to Win7 Pro 64 bit machine, I've been looking for a replacement
for my LviewPro 16 bit software which ran fine on my last XP 32 bit machine but now that I'm at Windows 7 64 bit, I'm out of luck. A feature I used the most with Lview was just a white canvas that I could use to copy jpg images to and then re-arrange for very nice full screen collages.

Isn't there SOME available 16 bit software to 64 bit machine emulator available somewhere that will allow me to run this software package? I've looked around quite a bit and even at the new Lview software and nothing matches up to that 16 bit version to do what I'm trying to do with collages. TIA for any advice. I've used it in XPmode but what I'm really after is being able to use it in native 64 bit and again, think the right emulator would allow me to do that.

thelittlegumnut

virtual pc? then maybe use the networking to transfer the jpg? or virtualbox, vmware and all that of course. ive done it with a win95 application.

Last edited:

verlando

I'm currently doing it with Virtual PC/XPmode but it would be 'great' to be able to use it in the Win 7 64 bit mode. It's the only full white screen canvas software that I've been able to find and I hate to just do without it. Eventually, I have to think someone will write an emulator that works for 16 bit stuff on a 64 bit machine and unfortunately, for lots of software, there hasn't been a decent 64 bit replacement which leaves lots of us hanging in there and hoping. The Virtual PC VM works pretty well - just some limitations. Thank for the reply.

thelittlegumnut

if you choose virtual pc or virtualbox and your having trouble with networking and missing files then just ask. i had a lot of trouble getting a fully functional win95C took ages for me to figure out it was to do with the emulation itself but eventually got it working so yeah. good luck anyway but im afraid i dont think there is another way unless your familiar with decompiling and recompiling which is risky.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Did you play with the emulator that comes with win7? AKA compatibility mode.