MESS, MAME, TOSEC, GoodTools, No-Intro & co.... anyone can explain?

ot4ku

First sorry for asking, and second thanks for explaining if you can...

I always was interested in Emulators and Roms because i love the good old 16-Bit gaming and in the beginning i just found some roms played them and that was it, but now there seems to be a real professional Scene that works on Retro gaming. I saw there this "complete" Rom sets of some systems (dont know exactly how detailed im allowed to write here) calld GoodNes or GoodGG or something with real complete Sets of Games.
But then there is again a complete Set this Time with "No-Intro" as Label, first i thought this has something to do with ingame Intro, but later it just seemed to be something same as GoodTools. So they also release Full Sets. And now i found out there is this group (do you call it that?) called TOSEC to, mostly for CD Images i thing PSone/two and DC (you know better for sure).

So all this Groups do the same just some on different systems, they try to make a complete Rom Set right? To have once that what we all want a complete Collection. OK, so i have for some Systems then 2 Folders one with Good Tools Set and one with No-Intro (for example) so all of you have it that way to?

And then what has it to do with this DAT Files? And there is also this Sets of Images for Cover and Ingame Screens, is there a Tool people use to sort the Roms? IS this the MAME / MESS Thing? I know MAME is only Arcade (dont know how to be up to date with them) and MESS is if i understood it right a Emulator for everything, so i dont need GENS, or Znes again right? just one for all. And why should i load there DAT Files for MESS/MAME? Im really confused, maybe someone can short try to explain it to me? Thanks for the kind soul hwo will do this, thanks a lot.

By the way to make thinks even more complicated, if ound this Hyperspin Project now to, isnt this again something like MESS a Emu for everything? Its really horrible to understand without someone explaining :))
I also got Teamspeak if it would be better xD Thanks again.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Goodset IMO are the best With the use of goodMerge. What goodMerge does, is takes every version of a rom and pack it in to one file. they use 7z so all files in the archive are the seize of one game.

example:
in file super gogo bros.7z 500k
super gogo bros USA.nes 500k
super gogo bros EUR.nes 500k
super gogo bros JAP.nes 500k
super gogo bros HACK.nes 500k
super gogo bros BAD-DUMP.nes 500k

That is not a real example but just illustrating the point. Now using a front-end that supports 7z make life easy. So lets say you use QuickPlay. You select NES on the left, go to supper gogo bros on the right and run. It will look for your language preference and run the emulator with the game.

No-intro From what I know is a set of roms that are 100% good. They dont include hacks or dumps. I think there mission stamen is to be 100% accurate dumps of a game. Lots of emulator support there collections. They use data in the rom for naming ( I kinda dont like that ). This helps for linking screen shots up with the actual game.

There are also tosec sets that I think are like no-intro, but I'm not sure. IMO good sets are the way to go, but you will here people argue that. It all comes down to preference.

Please note some of this talk could go against the rules here. So please try to learn what you can on the net. I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Last edited: