Emulator Problem: MAME 0.144 killed over 50% of my roms!

floyd

I made some updates to my arcade recently and dropped the newest version of MAME in.

Dear GOD all my favorite games are DOA.

Basic games like Pacman and Asteroids all the way through some of the newest.

Where can I find the latest ROMS?
This has been killing me for weeks!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well, that is why many emulators have that "use at own risk" disclaimer. Yeah that sucks man! Though, we can't help you find ROMs, that is a copyright infringement.

floyd

You are right... let me ask it a different way...

IF you had roms that were working in a last release... and suddenly they weren't working.
What process would you go through to bring them back to a working state?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well first I get my Rom from torrent communities. So if and when the data is compromised I just click the update button. I I had got these roms else where, I'd have to get them again but firt I;d be sure to use ClrMAMEPro and audit them to see what is good, and what is bad.

floyd

I have tried ClrMAMEPro but WOW... was that a nightmare to figure out!
I used RomCenter but that shows games as "working" that don't.

I wish ClrMAMEPro was easier for a newbie to figure out.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Rom managers like Clrmamepro, and Romcenter won't replace, change or add any missing or changed files, they can rename stuff and they can report where stuff is missing but they won't magically 'update' a set that's had any changes to the actual rom files inside the rom zip.
Unless you were running with a really old set, if you had everything working, why not simply stick to the older version of mame?. Other than the HSLS stuff that's still not really doing anything brilliant so far, there's been little of note added or promoted to working for quite a long time now, its been mainly quiz and card game updates and minor tweaks to various engines and roms.
I'm still running 0.128 in my cab and haven't seen the point in upgrading it since then.