Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concern Yo

Post Concern Yo

Are Emulators illegal, for example my college, VT, monitors our content download, if I download an N64 emulator, will that be seen as illegal or stealing.

Default Re: Concern Yo

As long as you own a physical copy of the game you're downloading, it isn't illegal. I really doubt they'd notice or care anyway.

Blog Entries

MarioGeek's answer was for roms, I think he miss understood you question.

The answer is no! They are not illegal. The intent of using a coppiced game to play it however could be questioned. So if you play a game at school, and your campus does not own that game, yes that is illegal. Now if you own the computer, its on you. Meaning you "should" own the original game. The use of an emulator will gain you no trouble, that is if its ok to game on campus Downloading the emulator again, is not a foul, if you download it from the emulators web page. If you try to get it via a torrent, that is different. And downloading games on campus is very foolish. Chalks up there with downloading mp3s on campus.

Disclaimer, this is how we perceive the law here, its not legal advise.
    Last edited by ulaoulao; November 16th, 2011 at 05:36.
    Original, the only way to play.

Forums
    main page - Working controllers

Quote Originally Posted by MarioGeek View Post
    As long as you own a physical copy of the game you're downloading, it isn't illegal. I really doubt they'd notice or care anyway.
    No. No, no no no NO

It is NOT legal to download a ROM just because you own the physical game. The ROM must come from YOUR physical copy, using dumping hardware that may or may not be illegal to build / purchase in your country.
    I really wish people would stop saying stupid shit like this, just because they heard it on a ROM site, or from a friends who "knows about this stuff". The only ROMS which are legal to download, free and clear, are Public Domain ROMS. Made by homebrew authors, or commercial products whos rights holder has explicitly released the product into the public domain.

Emulators on the other hand, are typically not illegal. But in some cases they could be interpreted as illegal depending on how the reverse engineering of the platform was done, and whether any copyrighted code is present in the source. In general though? No, they are not illegal.
    Last edited by Zach; November 16th, 2011 at 15:49.

Blog Entries

It is NOT legal to download a ROM just because you own the physical game. The ROM must come from YOUR physical copy, using dumping hardware that may or may not be illegal to build / purchase in your country.
    your right my over site. So actually you meant No. Yes, yes yes depends Yes

Listen to Zach, he is in fact a Layer.
    Last edited by ulaoulao; November 16th, 2011 at 18:23.

Forums

I'm not a lawyer.. But if I were, I'd be filthy rich by now.

Blog Entries

I'm not a lawyer
    Then you should not act like one. Your interpretation of the law, whether right or wrong, is still unprofessional as its not creditable.

I'd be filthy rich by now.
    LOL knowing the law and thinking you know it all are not the same things ;P

Forums

Well Zach, it really doesn't matter in the end. I couldn't care less if it is illegal. I'm just telling the guy he should go for it. It is very unlikely anyone would care or notice. Let him have fun.

Blog Entries

well.... on campus though? Its been a good while since I have gone to school, but I know for a fact torrents are easy to spot in the IT room. If you just download a few illegal items you are prolly ok. I don't know many people that would just get a game or two. Secondly, he never asked about roms. So to answer his question, yes its legal, go for it, and play. Download emulators will give you no trouble.

Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ulaoulao View Post
    Then you should not act like one. Your interpretation of the law, whether right or wrong, is still unprofessional as its not creditable.
    As opposed to all the B.S known-to-be innaccurate common myths spewed by ROM download sites since the late 1990's and all the people who have visited them? Please...

The credibility of my "interpretation" of "the law" is hardly the issue. At most my interpretation changes applicability depending on the country you live in, but as a general rule, I stand by my "opinion" as being far more accurate information than people would get from other sources.

Thread Information