Question: About Missing ".dll"

Lukong

I was wondering why certain emulators don't come with the required .dll?
Does it have to do with that the package shouldn't be altered?
I could understand if the Bios shouldn't come with the package [Bios = Serial Code]
Emulators: Required ".dll"
ePSXe: zlib1.dll
pec Editor: Msvbvm50.dll
Aldos MemManager v1.3: Msvbvm50.dll

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
simply because its not theirs. Its like saying all DX games should have the 100 DLLS for dirextX in the same folder.

Its like this, I make a game that uses a dynamic link library. That library has its own license and terms of use. If I include that dll I need to include the license that goes with it. Depending on the license it may be illegal to distribute it. So the best policy is to let the user find it.

Lukong

Thanks for confirming that ulaoulao, I see that would be a lot of work not just repackaging the archive, but puting in the License and having to deal with the fact that it might be illegal.

1. So in the Download Page could you possibly List the DLL's needed for the program or other required files to run the program?
2. Also would it possible I could upload a archive with the "Legal" .dll file required and it's License and share it on this site, provided that every Readme has been read?
Examples:
- ePSXe with Plugins, No Bios, MemManager & PSX Emulation Cheater.
- DeSmuMe 0.9.7 with DeSmuMe 0.9.5 Nosse2 & NO$GBAtoDeSmuMe Save Files instructions
- DS Emulators with Links for Codes [GameFaqs, Gamewinners, Neoseeker, etc]
- VBA ReRecord with Lunar IPS, Links for Codes [GameFaqs, Gamewinners, Neoseeker, etc] and NO$GBAtoVBA Save Files [From Readme "This program isn't designed for distribution" & missing a file called "COMDLG32.OCX"].

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I dont think its necessary to do this in the download section, however if you want to compile a complete update list with links ( where possible ) I think it woudl make a good sticky. Have to get Lefteris_D's input on this.

Lukong

I dont think its necessary to do this in the download section, however if you want to compile a complete update list with links ( where possible ) I think it woudl make a good sticky. Have to get Lefteris_D's input on this.
Okay

Lukong

simply because its not theirs. Its like saying all DX games should have the 100 DLLS for dirextX in the same folder.

Its like this, I make a game that uses a dynamic link library. That library has its own license and terms of use. If I include that dll I need to include the license that goes with it. Depending on the license it may be illegal to distribute it. So the best policy is to let the user find it.

That's why games that required DirectX have a Installer that requires the Internet, also that would allow one to get the most updated version of DirectX. To bad I am not able to make installers like that unless I do some research.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well most case here we are just talking about a simple one or two files. However, making an installer is very easy. And if you install these dlls in to the %windir%/system32 then they will only need to be installed once since all applications look there first.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
zlib is a compression library and all you really need is to keep it in the same folder as the emulator. Very easy to grab it from here: http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/index.html

Msvbvm50.dll is part of the visual basic runtimes that many programs or games require. That should be available at Microsoft's website and is needed quite often for some programs.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
To those that dont get it... Lukong is not asking for "where to get", he is trying to help the community. His entire point is to make for an easy way for anyone to get most of all the required dlls for any emulator. Sort of like a one shot download for it all.