I'm just going to dive into assembly now!

SEVENFOOTSWORD

I've really only noticed that I learn anything by submerging myself in hard to grasp concepts and whatnot. I know a little bit of c++. The most LOC i've written is like 500... and it was making a simple pong game object oriented that I made while adding a computer class -- basically my first program that wasn't a tut exercise or something derived out of a tut exercise.

Any of you guys know assembly. I'm extremely interested in Reverse engineering.

I'm getting the art of assembly & reverse engineering.

Anyways any tips, prereqs i should know etc?

Also what's some good books on hardware?

I have a working Wii, and a broken ps3. Where can I learn the internals of these devices? Not how to really do shit with 'em(emulate them in what not) but just find out more about how they work what's in them etc. (after some research, I've realized that this is somewhat an irrational question. But I have found out that learning about electronics is where I could start).

Thanks
SEVENFOOTSWORD

P.S. If this is a bad or newby question I apologize. Please tell me too. Lol I hate looking like an idiot... this isn't something I just decided today... I've been wanting to learn it for a long time... Just actually afraid to attempt it.

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

I've started using gdb, gnu project debugger... I've looked around and supposedly one of these will speed up learning quite a bit.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I have a working Wii, and a broken ps3. Where can I learn the internals of these devices? Not how to really do shit with 'em(emulate them in what not) but just find out more about how they work what's in them etc.
Well you not only are going to find it hard to do this being its complicated, its also illegal. You see, your not privileged to learn this. Revere engineering it is not going to be public information. Your best bet is to get buddy buddy with a dolphin programmer.

(after some research, I've realized that this is somewhat an irrational question. But I have found out that learning about electronics is where I could start).
Start with avr chips. Get in to arv programming with an atmega8 or atmega169 chip using winavr. You will need to spend some money in a burner. First write a few apps in c. Then try the same in ASM.

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

You will need to spend some money in a burner. First write a few apps in c. Then try the same in ASM.

What do you mean burner? (I've found some avr programming tutorials on the net and I'm going to start looking at them.)
Also... What do you think some good programs are to write?
I'm creating games and a few other side projects in c++ ... and that's really getting me coding a lot more. I just can never think of what to code...I really don't believe in coding anything easier than the last thing I coded... Well in till I feel that I'm an extremely proficient coder. Any suggestions that would be really challenging?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Its slang for writing to a chip.
AVRISPmkII.jpg

This is the one I have. Write an LED flasher first. Then try some more complex led routines. like a counter or night rider look. Then I'd go for a usb adapter. You may think its a hard jump but its really not. Look in to usb-v. I use this for my adapters and you can do a lot with it.

Try no to get sucked in to API packages like arduino. This is a step away from asm imo. Keep it core to AVR and yes you can code in C, but its more fun to code in ASM.

challenging? LOL that is rhetorical in the way of coding. Any coder will tell you a project is never complete and always troughs wrenches in the mix. Do this, close your eyes and dream up something you want. Forget about code... Anything, from computers to cars, to vibrators. Than think how to make it a reality. Once you know how to code in electronics you can do anything you want. Read my page, last paragraph for some inspiration on what I mean

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

Wow, I think I would really like to do that... writing code to avr chips. I just dled a bunch of electronics ebooks as well. I'm going to really be looking forward to this.

Is there any brands and websites I should buy from?

What's like the ultimate beginner set? Do you think you could point me in that direction? ( I would hate to buy to few items to do anything... or just bad items.)
You don't have to answer right away... You can take your time... as my money will be taking its time going in/out of my pocket lol. I'll probably start actually look at tuts in like two weeks when I buy the actual stuff... As I would rather not read about it but not be able to do anything since I have lack of tools etc.

Also... I'm learning a little assembly right now. It's from a book that teaches c & asm (x86). It doesn't go too in depth... but that's alright. I have a book for that.

I also read your page. 3 tbs of games LOL nice! Atari on a plasma... haha nice. I've actually wanted to set up servers that are a really big database for home entertaining etc. Will connect to a tv I have. Hey maybe I can program a remote control that will go to the servers/tv. Switch it to games, play a few games... watch a movie, then have a terminal for doing a little more coding. This remote would probably be one of those big lcd ones. Didn't have to close my eyes for that one... So I'm going to hold off on that. I don't want to think up something too big just yet (like my own console). haha jk

Also these lcd monitors could be actual controllers with touch buttons... that actually look like say a ps controller. Whoah, I can't wait in till I get started.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Is there any brands and websites I should buy from?
I use mouser.com but digikey is also good.

Beginner set, its a hard one but here goes...
) Find a local shop that sells electronics, if not radio shack may help.
) get an assortment of resistor, capacitors, LEDs, diodes( z-diodes), switches, and colored wires.
) a 12, 16 and may 20 crystal oscillator
) get a bread board
) get a few basic empty circuit boards
) get a soldering iron and solder
) get a few atmega168 chips ( make sure to download the data sheet for it )
) get winavr software
) wire cutters and pliers
) a way to organize stuff
) project box
) LA( logic analyzer), this is a big ticket item. May want to hold off on it.
12) the burner I mentioned
13) a book on ohms law
I will add some tomorrow if I think of stuff.

BTW; with AVR electronics you can use a red LED and blink it at a fixed rate to communicate with info-red

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

So where do I find this burner... and why is it a good idea to start with avr chips? And what the hell is an avr chip? And half that list is completely arcane to me.
DONT MAKE ME USE WIKI

I know that avr chips use flash memory which is somewhat contrary to what ROM is which is good(ha).

I'm basically having trouble finding a burner simply because I think that's slang. I google avr burner and software comes up. As you showed a hardware as what a burner was.

I have very minuscule knowledge of what some of those pieces of hardware are... I'm obviously willing to learn. Is there some type of site/tutorial that comprehensively goes over these things. If you feel I need to get all the information myself I'm completely fine with that.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
DONT MAKE ME USE WIKI
If your not willing to learn then I would have to type you a book LOL. If your scared of reading, drop all of this now!

So where do I find this burner...
I figure the picture would help you on that? AKA "avr programmer" ebay has them the cheapest.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=av...+burner&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

and why is it a good idea to start with avr chips?
Most widely used in the hobby world.

And what the hell is an avr chip?
See PM response

And half that list is completely arcane to me.
see PM response

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

I was just in a shitty mood lol. Yesterday blew... I'm willing to read wiki... I love them
And still remember debating why we should be able to use wiki in school for homework even know I never did my homework (ever since the tenth grade I knew the teachers feared wiki and its power(or the internet as a whole) to take their jobs. Now everyone is about e-learning. Haa

Yeah, I'm learning assembly from a couple of books. Mainly Art of assembly. I'll probably mix that with a few online tuts too. One thing about online tuts are they're dense and terse... Time saving especially if you need another resource to learn from.

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

Wow, it seems like this post is old.
LOL at me reviing it.

I'm still at the shit although I haven't got any avr chips yet. I've learned a little asm. Apparently, I don't even really need it for emulation. I'm learning more c. It's such a gnarly language. I'm tripping over the things I'm seeing in ALLEGRO src and how things are done. I continue my journey on making an emulator!

Last edited:

SEVENFOOTSWORD

Yeah, I'm going to have to do something about learning it. I kinda want the chips just to be more familiar with hw. i have so many projects right now...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
i have so many projects right now...
Your going to have to put those on hold. I know a lot of people ( especially around here ) talk about ASM programming as though they actually do it. From first hand experience I'm here to tell you its not easy ( as your starting to learn ). Feel free to post code and talk about it, I dont see that as rule breaking. If it gets to involved topic wise the mods may put a stop to it. Once you get moving its going to became easier.

Make sure you know these topics well.

Hexadecimal
Binary
bytes and bits
Bit logic.

For I will not be explaining this and expect you to know it. The code wont tolerate ignorance on these topics, nor will anyone trying to help you. Google and wiki for it, lots to read.

Last edited: