PSX emulation speed

jbone1337

specs: 2.4ghz amd turion II x2 dual core, ati 5470 graphics
emulators: epsxe 1.70 and pcsx-r 1.9.92

Ok so i have tried all the peops and petes graphics plugins, all settings, changed audio plugins and settings.

Anyway, while trying to play FFIX, the first battle scene which is after the first cutscene runs really choppy, like 35-55 fps area.
just wondering is that normal for people (with similar specs) or just me.

(btw i have already fixed the problem, but im sure not many people did what i did)

so what are your ways of speeding up psx to be able to play FFIX (which i believe to be probably one of the most demanding psx games)?

EDIT: no replies? :3
Well can anyone atleast answer the question is that normal fps for around a 2.4ghz processor? anyone with 1.5-3.0ghz dual core care to commend about battle speeds in FFIX?

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Mostly every computer past the higher end Pentium 4 should be able to run PSX games full speed, I guess its just the compatibility.

jbone1337

well i also did more testing since then, and more reading up.
what i did originally was opengl/opengl2/direct3d plugins, and all were not working for ffix.

What i didnt have/try was the peops softdriver plugin. as i found out on another forum that said ti was fast. and it is quite fast.
but what i found was this: http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/releases/view/47932
GSdx plugin, which is made for ps2, but i guess someone modded this one to work better with ps1 i guess?

anyway it looks great and runs really fast. not perfect as it breaks ff7 if you hit esc while playing.

so now im kind of torn lol

gsdx: re-sizable window, higher resolution, better texture filtering, i think it has better speed not sure.
peops soft: fast, doesnt break ff7 when you hit esc, and has fast forward option!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Have you tried using a non-plugin based emulator like PSX?. ePSXe is great at certain things but it is a mass of hacks, workarounds and plugins designed for different OS and DX versions which can affect performance and compatibility. PSX 1.13 while far from perfect offers more faithful emulation and doesn't rely on loads of different plug-ins to work.

///DASH

PSX 1.13 is sooooo underrated!! it has no graphical improvments over the original playstaion (no hacks, no plugins, no workarounds)...AND THAT'S WHY IT IS THE MOST ACCURATE EMULATOR!! For games that don't work well, like Need for Speed III and Mortal Kombat Trilogy, I use ePSXe. But even so: a game like Need for Speed III has some timing issues in PSX but all the graphics are displayed perfectly with no bugs. But in ePSXe, although the timing has been corrected and game is now playable, the graphics and sound are a bit messed up, I only use ePSXe as last resort.
Try PSX!