Game Problem: Having trouble with ff9 on ePSXe

roxas88

So I've been using ePSXe 1.7.0 to play ff9 using Pete's PSX D3D driver for video and ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0 for sound and its worked perfect until now. I'm on Disc 3 after the card tournament in Treno, when it shows Kuja in Alexandria and theres supposed to be a scene with Bahamut. The problem is that when the screen fades for the start of the FMV, it just stays black and nothing happens. I've found all kinds of answers after googling but none of them worked. I tried using older versions, both 1.5.2 and 1.6 with the same problem. I tried using other plugins for both sound and video and either they don't work at all or I have the same problem. I also found some suggestions about disabling MDECs to skip the FMV entirely, which would be fine by me, but I haven't found anything to tell me HOW to disable MDECs. Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know how I can fix this and continue with my game?

rakanishu

Use the command line -nomdec to disable all the MDECS in the game.

roxas88

Okay, as horrribly newbish as this sounds, where do I go to enter command lines? Do I use the regular windows command prompt or is there something I need to get specifically for ePSXe? Also, either way, can you give me some instructions? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here. I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry if it seems dumb.

roxas88

I thought I had it figured out but when I enter epsxe -nomdec on the command prompt it pops up with a message that says epsxe error: -nomdec param incorrect. am I entering it wrong? I tried it as epsxe/-nomdec but it just opens epsxe and I have the same problem at the same place. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to command prompt, I hope someone can help me out here. also, I'm using a save state and not a regular game save, don't know if that might be contributing to the problem or not.

rakanishu

Sorry I was absent these days, the option -nomdec was removed from 1.7, the version 1.6 still have that option, so you will need ePSXe 1.6 to use -nomdec, but before that in ePSXe 1.7 use the option -nomdectiming and give it a try, if it doesn't work, use the ePSXe 1.6 with -nomdec.

Your problem is weird because I don't remember that game having problems.