Emulator Problem: How can I increase the game speed?

Sangha

Hello again :)
The game is working fine (The Sims 2.iso for PS2), without any (big) bugs or problems, but when I start the game, then the music, the game, and the game's control is slowing. But drastically... and mostly when I turn with my character (with the camera) to the objects (house, walls, rooms, etc...)... How can I increase the game speed?

I read that the PCSX2 games need a very good PC. My computer is very good, the newest games are running fine on max graphics (Dragon Age 2, Oblivion, Sims 2, Sims 3, etc...) so the PC isn't bad. What can I do? Are there any plug-ins for this problem? I tried the speed hacks but that hack wasn't working... Perhaps the hack wasn't well configured?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
What are your PC specs?. Just comparing it to what PC games will run on it is pointless, as the emulator isn't a PC game and your PC's performance running PC applications is irrelevant in terms of emulation.

If you have framerate issues it seems likely that either your Processor, Ram, Graphics Card or a combination of the 3 aren't up to the job for PCSX2. Without posting your specification no one can advise wether it is a hardware issue or potentially a problem with the way its set up.

Last edited:

rakanishu

Try activating the speed hacks, first the recommended and then the "no recommended" ones, like @FatTrucker told you, emulation requires a lot of cpu power.

jbone1337

I have done lots of testing with pcsx2 emulator lately. And i found out how to speed it up a little bit, and its by doing what rakanishu said.
Go to config > emulator settings. Go to the Speedhacks tab at the top.

Then check enable speed hacks. First enable the check boxes under "other hacks" at the bottom. INTC spin detection/wait loop detection. The fast cd doesnt really do much for you, so leave that unchecked.

Now go back to your game and check fps, still bad? go and move the "EE cyclerate" slider to 2. Then test. Next move the "VU cycle" slider to 1. Then try checking both check boxes under the "microVU hacks". The lastly move teh VU cycle to 2.

Having this many hacks will likely start breaking the game, there may be different glitches, messed up graphic and/or audio. moving the slider to max will likely really screw up games.

Also like other have said, playing PC games means nothing compared to emulation. PC games require lots of graphics, emulators require lots of cpu.
For a ps2 emulator to run perfect you need over a 3.0ghz dual core (more core does not make it better. emulators will only use 2 cores, maybe a 3rd for LLE sound when enabled). So you need 3ghz+ speed. Ram and graphic almost do not even matter. ps2 uses like 300mb of ram, and graphics only really matter when you change the resolution to 720/1080P. you can play ps2 on like intel hd graphics lol.

Sangha

I found these informations in the System Properties:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
version 2002
service pack 2

Computer:
Blade Edition
Fine Tuned OS v6.09.17
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU
E1400 @ 2.000GHz
2.00 GHz, 2,00 GB RAM

rakanishu

Sorry man forget about it

Sangha said:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU
E1400 @ 2.000GHz
Sorry man, forget about PS2 emulation by now, @jbone1337 is being a little optimistic saying you will need a 3+GHz processor for PS2; some games will run with that, but a lot of games will demand 3.6+Ghz. 4+Ghz is the optimum clock for PS2/Wii emulation, by now at least.

Remember I am talking about double core processors.

Last edited:

jbone1337

Re: Sorry man forget about it

Sorry man, forget about PS2 emulation by now, @jbone1337 is being a little optimistic saying you will need a 3+GHz processor for PS2; some games will run with that, but a lot of games will demand 3.6+Ghz. 4+Ghz is the optimum clock for PS2/Wii emulation, by now at least.

Well ps2 has speedhacks, so it allows you to play games with much less then needed. i have a 2.4ghz amd turian II x2. i can play most games with high amounts of speeds hacks just fine, with almost full speed. Im not sure what games on ps2 require 4ghz lol(list a few maybe, so i can try them?). Wii to play every game at full speed guaranteed ~4ghz is needed. But 3.5ghz+ can play all games at good speeds.

Seems everyone always over shoots the minimum requirements for everything. i remember some guy said an amd 6850 can only play pc games on med settings, i mean.. what!? i can play any game on low settings with a 5470 lol... i think people are doing it wrong...

rakanishu

jbone1337 said:
Im not sure what games on ps2 require 4ghz lol(list a few maybe, so i can try them?)
The God of War series, Valkyrie Profile 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc. are good examples of games that need powerfull computers (4+Ghz); without the dreadful "Steal VU Cycles" and "EE Cycle Rate" speedhacks, of course I am talking about having a constant full speed the whole game; without any kind of speed drops or artifacts.

About Wii, believe it or not, you will need a lower machine than PS2, thats because, the Wii emulator (Dolphin) is better optimized than PCSX2, even the most demanding Wii games I own run smoothly, even in high settings and not hacks.

jbone1337 said:
i remember some guy said an amd 6850 can only play pc games on med settings, i mean.. what!? i can play any game on low settings with a 5470 lol... i think people are doing it wrong...
Sorry man but that's not my case, I am computing engineer, fixing and optimizing pc/servers/networks is what feeds me, my computer is completely tweaked and overclocked, and I give it weekly maintenance, even having an inferior video card than your friend (hd 4850), I can play almost all actual games at max settings, with only a few exceptions (Crysis, Mafia II, Resident Evil 5, etc), that I can play them at high settings but without filters :(, but that will be fixed soon with an "GeForce Asus engtx580 dcII" :).

Sorry for my bad English.

Sangha

if you are having trouble running the sims 2 you may want to just get a copy of the PC version and use that

Thanks but the PS2 Sims 2 isn't the PC sims 2. Check a gameplay on youtube and you'll see.

Well... Okay :/ I'm sad for this because I really wanted to play on the PS2 Sims 2, but if I can't, then... I can't. :(

Sangha

And hey, what do you think, can my PC with this CPU play PSP games with a good emulator (a PSP Sims game is similar like the PS2 Sims)? And where can I download a useful emulator? The PCSP can not read any games and I can't use the JPCSP...

rakanishu

JPCSP

PSP, NDS, PS2, Wii, all of them will have the same problem; your processor is not enough for them.

JPCSP is the best PSP emulator right now, but it will run slow in your machine, give it a try, personally I can't stand playing with no full speed, but there is a lot of people that is more tolerant :p.