Emulator Problem: New laptop and pcsx2 / Budokai Tenkaichi 2

Incal

Hello, i would like mainly your honest opinions about my case. I have new laptop:

Asus K52j series
Intel Core i3 CPU M350 2,27 GHZ
4 GB ram
Geforce 310M 1G
Win 7 home premium 64 b

Game: PAL Budokai Tenkaichi 2

And first thing what I wished to do is emulate ps2 with pcsx2. I downloaded versions from 9.6 to 9.8 with different plugins/bios,I have little experience with this, year ago I had far worse laptop it was dual core with 4 g ram and standard G card for few days and I was able to get decent speed on Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2 ( up to 45 fps). I have spent entire day downloading emulators plugins watching movies on YouTube and I simply cant get this game running above 30 fps.I also have tested other game and resident evil outbreak works fine with top speed. So what I would wish to ask is about this laptop,is it enough or it lack something,maybe it?s the windows fault, or maybe plugins and bios for pcsx2,configuration perhaps. Please help me

rakanishu

Not enough processor power.

Man you lack of processor power, the ram is ok, and the video card is higher any actual emulator would need.

Bellow 3.5 Ghz you will experiment slowdowns in demanding games, the pcsx2 recommended are dual processors at 4 Ghz or higher clocks.

Sorry for my bad English.

----------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Professional x64 // Arch Linux x64
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T clocked at 4000 Mhz
8 Gb Dual Ram Corsair, running at 2000 Mhz
Ati Radeon HD 4850 1 Gb Ram
Mother Board Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3

Incal

Re: Not enough processor power.

So in other words you want to say,pcsx2 is made for dual core processors and there isnt any way to force it to use full potential of my current processor? Like this guy,who doesnt have so good machine?

The difference isnt big ,maybe there is some way i could solve my problems?

Incal

So in other words you want to say pcsx2 is made specially for dual core processors and there isnt a way i could force my current to use it full potential?Look at this guy,he doesnt have so good machine and emulate properly

Could XP,and some bios/ graphic sound plugin combination would solve my problem?I know its stupid question but laptop is new people were emulating BT 2,3 on core duo 2.4 at decent speed from some long time ago

sorry for double post

Last edited:

rakanishu

Yep; Pcsx2 was made with dual processors in mind, in fact if you have more cores they won't help you in the emulation.

Now if you see the video, the guy is using a lots of speed hacks, and even so, the game is running at half fps, so I don't believe changing settings will help you, but of course you can try them.

jbone1337

Well you arnt really going to play ps2 on that laptop... No matter what you do, its not going to happen, did you buy this laptop with emulation in mind or something? if so how did you not research emulation is based on cpu speed, and just buy a desktop?

Just forget everything about normal computer games when it comes to emulation specs. For emulation is all about processor clock speed not cores. They will only use a max of 2, you can use a 3rd core for LLE sound if you enable it. But having 4/6 cores, and hyperthreading do absolutely nothing for emulation.

You have a 2.27ghz processor, its far under what you need to run games smoothly. And your FPS also has nothing to do with it the emulation speed. Again another thing you need to forget about when dealing with emulation is FPS. i get a full 60FPS on ps2 emulator with my laptop with a 2.4ghz processor and an ati 5470. But the emulation speed is like at 60%, which makes it like unplayable.

Also so you know, the guy in the video in the description says is he running a core 2 dou clocked at 3.2ghz, which is far above what you have... also as far as emulation goes, every mhz counts, there is actually a difference in 2.27 and 2.4ghz. (also windows xp has nothing to do with it)

Last edited:

rakanishu

jbone1337 said:
I get a full 60FPS on ps2 emulator with my laptop with a 2.4ghz processor and an ati 5470. But the emulation speed is like at 60%, which makes it like unplayable.

Man that's no real 60Fps, that is because you are skipping frames, I get 60(ntsc)/50(pal) fps and they run at 100% full speed, but yeah, for a decent emulator experience you need 3.5+ Ghz double core processor.

Incal

jbone1337
You made me so depressed _-_ i need to forget about emulation at all but RE OB runs perfectly, i could even make a video and post it here,i bet other games of this kind some survival horrors where there isnt much action also wouldnt disappoint me. And no i didnt bought it with idea of emulation but it was damn cheap and when i got it just wanted to play PS2 games,i love PS1 games as well. its not a reason to cry laptop is new all new PC games runs good,just need to forget about emulation _-_ till i buy new or used PS2,well thank you all my doubts are now cleared.