Game Problem: Having issues with roms!

cheshirecat

So I'm pretty new to all of this and this is the first time I have ever modified or (softmoded) anything so bare with me. Got the homebrew channel and the Wii64 emulator all installed but the roms are another story. I understand that they are not going to be crystal clear or anything but they are really hard to play. So I downloaded Donkey Kong 64 and well that game was all messed up graphics were crap and the sound was all off not only that but the controls are driving me nuts. That game I deleted cause it wasn't even playable. Then I decided to try a different rom site and it was like a million different versions of one game it looks something like this:Donkey Kong 64 (J) [!].zip, Donkey Kong 64 (J) [!].zip, Donkey Kong 64 (E) [f1] (Boot&Save).zip? Honestly I have no idea what they mean or which one I download or do I download all 12 of them! Anyway I did get one to work (Zelda Ocarina of time) and I only got to the setup menu where you put your name in and got so frustrated I turned it off. Cause again the controls are really werid like I can't move over with the actual direction (crossed shaped key) key but somehow it works with the wiimote sensor but not very well at that. Anyway I need some help if there is anyway I can just play a game normal without the control being weird and have somewhat clear graphics please help me out!

btw. Is there anyway to play the N64 games with the old classic controler?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
There really isn't much you can do about Donkey Kong, there is nothing wrong with the rom, its just that the Wii64 doesn't have the best compatibility in the world, its still being developed. As far as controls go, you can map your own controls so that they are more comfortable and currently Wii64 doesn't support usb controllers. If you have any more questions, don't feel shy. :)

Last edited:

cheshirecat

Oh I see that makes sense well so then it doesn't matter with one I download right? Kinda a bummer cause I love that game and they don't sell it through Nintendo but oh well I guess. So how do you map out your own controls?