TGB Dual pokemon save problem

fuzzypickle

ok i've been on the internet for the last 3 hours trying to figure this out, and I thought I'd sign up on here to hopefully get this fixed.

I just got TGB Dual 8 because I was reading that you can trade pokemon on it. my problem is that when I start a game and play a while, then save it doesn't seem to want to load any .sav files. I checked and they are in the "save" folder and my rom's are in the "media" folder. I've tried this with red, blue, gold, sliver, and crystal, and they all have the same problem. is there any one that can help me fix this because I really would like to enjoy trading between games.

Thanks

edit: I forgot to add that I'm running this on windows 7 if that helps at all

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Are you trying to trade from the same rom to a different save? (i.e: Pokemon Red Version to Pokemon Red Version)

fuzzypickle

That's the thing, I haven't even gotten far enough in one of the games to trade. i'm just playing the game as it is right now, hit start, save. the i try to load load the .sav in the first gameboy ( i know the second one has to be a .sa2 file) and i get the error with all the symbols.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Wait a second, I need to test a few things, BGB has changed alot since I last had it. First I am going to test things out with TGB Dual and then I will get back to you. Shouldn't take long.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Okay, here is whats good. I am using the English translation of TGB Dual v.7. You can find it right here.
Code:
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/gameboy/tgbdual.html
When you initialize TGB, go to File -> GB1 Load. It will load (in my case) Pokemon Red. Go to File -> GB2 Load. This will bring up another window with (in my case) Pokemon Red. I made sure that in each window I made a name and got past professor oaks intro. I saved in the bedroom and turned off both Windows. Now, I go TGB's directory and went into the SAVE Folder. Inside, I found both the save files, listed as Pokemon Red.sav and Pokemon Red.sa2 .sa2 comes from the second window, and the .sav comes from the first window. I made sure to catch a pokemon in both windows after I delivered Oaks Parcel. I went to trade in both windows and the emulator linked the windows, trading with each other. It worked just fine. My version TGB works just fine. If it doesn't work with your version, then download the one that I provided for you. If you need anymore help, I will be looking over this thread. :happy:

fuzzypickle

ok so i deleted the version i had and downloaded the one you provided. i unzipped it all, then opened the rom. on gameboy 1 i loaded up pokemon red and did oaks intro, then saved. i unloaded the gameboy 1 then closed out of tbg dual. inside the save file in tgb's directory i saw pokemon red.sav so i opened tgb dual and hit gb1 load, and it's not showing that file in the save folder. i click show all files, to bring it up, and clicked it to load. after I do that it comes up with a error of some kind, i can't read it because it's in another language.

and thats were i'm stuck. i've tried saving other games on it ( blue, gold, and sliver) all with the same result. i've also tried changing them from a .sav to a .sa1 and it doesn't help either

EDIT: one thing i haven't tried is saving a game with vba, cause i have that one too, and moving the file over. i've read around that vba saves as a .sav as well, and i'm not sure it will load it.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Okay, Im not sure why its not working, unless your roms aren't allowing it, Im sorry that I couldn't come up with a solution.

fuzzypickle

thanks for trying to help. do you think getting different versions of the same roms would help, or should i simply just try bgb (if there is a way to trade though, that's really the only reason i'd like to get tgb dual working)

EDIT: ok i think i got it working. i had all of the games in a folder called media in the tgb directory, i copied them and pasted them outside of the folder. loaded yellow and got threw oaks speech, saved and unloaded. then i went back in and instead of clicking on the .sav file i clicked to load the rom again, and it gave me the option to continue.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
thanks for trying to help. do you think getting different versions of the same roms would help, or should i simply just try bgb (if there is a way to trade though, that's really the only reason i'd like to get tgb dual working)

EDIT: ok i think i got it working. i had all of the games in a folder called media in the tgb directory, i copied them and pasted them outside of the folder. loaded yellow and got threw oaks speech, saved and unloaded. then i went back in and instead of clicking on the .sav file i clicked to load the rom again, and it gave me the option to continue.
Haha, thats what I thought you were doing the entire time! :D

fuzzypickle

haha no i'm the kind of person that likes to make a lot of folders to keep things nice and tidy. it's honestly going to annoy me to not do that with this but that's ok.

on a slight subject change is there a emulator for a android phone. a lg optimus if that helps. i have a friend that is interested in finding one but is having a hard time doing so