Emulator Problem: A question reguarding SNES USB Controllers

Snopel

I'm just having a bit of trouble here.
Now, I have two emulators. VirtuaNES for my Nintendo Entertainment System, and Snes9X for the Super Nintendo.
Here's my problem. Playing on the keyboard is somewhat inconvenient and screws up most of the time. So I am looking for USB Controllers, and I found a good SNES controller and NES controller with the convenient use of USB ports.
The problem I'm having is that I can only afford one controller at the moment.
My question is: Does the VirtuaNES emulator support a Super Nintendo controller? Any reply will be helpful. I'm just stumped because I have games on the NES such as the Megaman series that I wish to complete, as well as some SNES games that I want to complete like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Megaman X.
Thanks!
~Snopel

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
My friend Ulaoulao would be the best one to answer this, but in general all emulators tend to have controller support if you play around with it.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Thx MM.

Snopel, I gather your question is can a nes emulator use a snes controller. The imitate answer is, of course it would. But lets break this down.

All emulators there days support HID. Both nes and snes adapter will be HID. So yeah you could use the snes on a nes emulator just configure the buttons right. Another thing to note is the two controller are much alike. You could make a nes to snes adapter quite easily. But when plugging the nes in to the snes adapter L,R,X, and Y will be permanently pressed down. The best option for you is to just get one adapter that does both, and that is where I come in ( see sig ).

Last edited:

Snopel

Thank you so much for your answer! But because I'm no computer expert, may I ask a few questions?
1) So are you saying that because there are no X,Y,L and R on the controller, they will be pressed down when I use an NES controller for the SNES?
2) As I said, my emulator is VirtuaNES. How can I configure it so it can tell that I have a controller plugged in? Or will it automatically detect?
3) This is the controller I've found. Do you reccommend for or against?
Nintendo%20SNES%20controller.jpg

I have found many results of this on Ebay and stuff. Haha but what do you think?
4) So are you saying that you make controller ports for computers and/or laptops?

Snopel

Looks like the mods didn't approve of my last post. -.-
I'll say it again. I have a few questions for that post, but thanks heaps for replying!!
1) So are you saying that LRX and Y will be automatically pressed because the NES doesn't have those buttons?
2) How do I get to the configuration screen for external controllers? Or does it automatically detect?
3) Are you referring to ports that you can plug controllers into?
That seems fine, but I found a controller (I posted the pic before but that post must not have been accepted) that is just connected with a USB port.
Would you reccommend that?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I dont know why you think your posts are not "posting" but again you did it twice.

1) This only applies if you try to make your own adapter. Based on your response I highly doubt this is a good option for you ;)
2) Emulators done detect the Operating system does. You just assign the buttons in the emulator.
image%5B19%5D.png

3) This controller will work just fine. Do you have it now? Have you tried it? If so whats the problem?
4) Yes, feel free to drop by my site ( see sig )

Last edited:

Snopel

What th- so the post gets posted when I post!?
Sorry about that. ^^; Maybe it was my computer!
1) and 2) Thank you very much!!
3) No I haven't bought it yet. I thought that I'd better get advice before something goes awfully wrong.
4) Thanks for the link! But I guess I need a bit more money for that. XD

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well usb adapters are more and more common theses days, chances are they will work. But its not always best to get the cheep ones. That one in the pic is a adapted controller version. They take a controller and build in the usb guts. Problem is you no longer can use it on a snes. IMO, the adapter meth is much better. Any where from 15-35 is good for an adapter. My adapters are hand made not pressed on some assembly line so ya they are on the high end. But you get a lot more features with my stuff and like you want you can add as many controller types as you like. Though its not much good unless you have the original controllers. The more technical ability you have the more you can save. I also try to help people out where possible.

Last edited:

Snopel

Thanks for the USB concern part, but I don't have a super nintendo... XD
And I just bought one that wasn't cheap. It's a usb... sorry. =P
Maybe when I get more money I might consider buying one of those adapters. They look sweet. Especially the $999.99 one.
Look. The reason why I bought the USB controller was because in order for the more successful way, I would need the usb adapter AND the controller and I'm really low on money. I'll look for that type when I'm more rich. Hehe
Thank you so so so much for your help, Ulaoulao! I no longer have any questions since you basically said everything I wanted answered. =P
But is there anything else I should know about?