Do I meet specifications?

brandonpotter

My specs are

Dell PowerEdge SC420
Intel Pentium 4 651 3.40GHz
1Gig DDR2 memory
ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series 512 MB

I can run any pc game. I can get games to load on PCSX2 and Dolphin but they are slow. I upgraded from a 2.8GHz cpu to this 3.4 one hoping that it would make them faster, but no changes. What can I do to get them to run faster if anything?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
To get games running with a reasonable framerate in PCSX2 you'll want a fairly fast multi-cored processor and at least 2 Gb of RAM. A P4 with 1Gb of Ram won't cut it whatever speed you clock it to.
TBH secondhand PS2's and PS2 games are so cheap its usually easier to just buy a PS2 with a load of games. The emulation still isn't 100% regardless of the system you run on.

Jale

Also, do NOT compare PC with console emulation... EVER! Emulators are reverse engineered, not fully optimized (in this case PCSX2) and they're based on totally different architecture. And not to mention everything must be software based.

As for your specs, Pentium 4 is not enough to emulatre PCSX2. Like FatTrucker said, you need at least a multi-core CPU, but you'll only see some improvement, don't expect it to run at full speed. Having more than two cores won't help either, since these emulators were written to support up to two cores. Supporting more than two cores supposes to rewrite the whole thing and that's a pain in the A.

Master_OrHan

Also, do NOT compare PC with console emulation... EVER! Emulators are reverse engineered, not fully optimized (in this case PCSX2) and they're based on totally different architecture. And not to mention everything must be software based.

As for your specs, Pentium 4 is not enough to emulatre PCSX2. Like FatTrucker said, you need at least a multi-core CPU, but you'll only see some improvement, don't expect it to run at full speed. Having more than two cores won't help either, since these emulators were written to support up to two cores. Supporting more than two cores supposes to rewrite the whole thing and that's a pain in the A.
My PC actually runs PCSX2 at 100% speed in some games with 3x image enhancement and only 2 cores are used along with only one of my GPUs. If you can afford the bleeding edge tech that is out there, yes you can play PCSX2 @ 100% in all games.

I say create a subdevelopment team to work on recreating emus like PCSX2 to take advantage of quads so we can all play the emus @ full speed. Include SLI/CF support and these emus will really take off. Original Xbox emu becomes feasible finally.

If you have a P4, stick to emus like ePSXe, forget SSF, PCSX2, etc. 16-bit emus will work very well for you as well.

Lukong

Which version of PCSX2 are you using because I have 0.9.7 and you need more RAM.
PCSX2 0.9.7 Plugins -Bios.7z

PCSX2 0.9.6 doesn't have SpeedHack, but 0.9.7 does.

Last edited:

Lukong

You are a tad short on RAM...for everything. You are in the same boat as the OP.

Speedhack makes games like Shadow of the Colossus playable at full speed, for myself at least. Still will be a slideshow for the OP.

Dude, a slow emulator doesn't bother me, I get use to it. LOL for Reply, luckily I usually look for a PC version before getting a PS2 version. Not only that, the Mods & Trainers are come with perks and benefits.

With a graphic Card like that your sure to be playing some Great Titles.

Last edited:

Master_OrHan

Dude, a slow emulator doesn't bother me, I get use to it. LOL for Reply, luckily I usually look for a PC version before getting a PS2 version. Not only that, the Mods & Trainers are come with perks and benefits.

With a graphic Card like that your sure to be playing some Great Titles.
I never use trainers or hacks or any kind, that takes away from developing skill in said game. There are no PC versions of games like Shadow of the Colossus.

I have TWO GTX 470s, SLI isn't recognized by PCSX2 but it helps big time with games like BFBC2 which I have played a lot of.