Emulator Problem: TGB Dual and Lameboy.. Help? Derpderpderp.

Explosives

First post, what up.

Aiight, so basically i'm trying to use the TGB Dual Emulator so I can trade between my Pokemon Crystal and Yellow. I've been looking everywhere for some helpful info, but all has failed so far.

My main problem seems pretty simple, and the solution is probably right in front of me but I can't figure the damn thing out. lol. I've got a basic understanding of how the whole TGB Dual works, and I've renamed my SAV files accordingly; Sav & Sa2. When I load up the games, though, I don't have the option of continuing my game. Instead, I can only start a new game on both. The ROMs load fine.

I've been playing both games on my DS Phat via Lameboy, on my R4, and I don't think the two emulators have any conflicts. I can copy/paste my sav files just fine. Anyone know what's up? I've been googling tons of shit to figure this out, and this is the guide I've found most useful:

http://www.bloodangelssanctuary.com/pokemontradingguide.html

Spoiler »

Step 1: The Initial Steps
The first thing you should is unzip TGB to someplace you'll remember (like My Documents or the Desktop) IN IT'S OWN FOLDER and run it. Don't bother running any ROMs yet, you just want it to create a folder called 'Save' which will be very important later. Now, go to Options-->Folders, and click the little '...' button across from Save, and navigate to the save folder it just created. I don't know why, but every once in a while TGB likes to reset that location, so do it every time you want to make a trade.
Next, set the keys for GB2 by going to Options-->Keys. My suggestion, make the A and B buttons a and s on the keyboard, up/left/down/right to i/j/k/l (think WASD on the right side of the keyboard), and start to '\'.
Finally, regardless of what emulator you use beforehand, move your character into the Pokemon Center and in front of the Link Center lady. This mean fewer movements on the part of your character, and fewer keystrokes for you. (Thank you Luke for that suggestion.)
Step 2: Backup
The first part of this step is mearly a precaution in case something goes wrong. Create a folder somewhere and copy your save files into it. (If you are using VBA, simply copy and paste the .sav file into the folder. It should be in the same location as the ROM itself. If you are using Masterboy, navigate to '(Drive Letter)/PSP/GAME/MasterBoy/Roms GBC/SAVE' to find the game saves (they are in .gz format), use Winzip or 7zip to extract the .sav file from the archive, then copy and paste it.)
Next, copy and paste (yes, again) the save files into the 'save' folder TGB created.
Step 3: Make Your Choice
This is important step. When running TGB, it can read the original .sav file when loading a ROM in GB1, but in order to read a save in GB2, it must be in .sa2 format. So, you have to choose which version you are going to use as the primary (GB1) and secondary (GB2) games. For me, Blue is the primary and Red is the secondary. You can do it the opposite, and mix it up even more adding Yellow to the mix. Regardless of which version you choose as primary/secondary, LEAVE THE SAVE FILE FOR THE PRIMARY VERSION ALONE. As long as you tell TGB to read saves in the save folder it created, nothing has to be done to it. For the secondary game follow these steps:
1. Open the 'save' folder.
2. Go to Tool-->Folder Options, click the View Tab, and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types".
3. Now that you can see the extensions of the save files (like 'Pokemon Red.sav'), rename the extention .sa2. Just delete the v and add a 2. Don't mess with the file name at all.
4. When Windows asks if you're sure you want to rename the extension, just say yes.
That's pretty much it.
Step 4: The Trade
Now for the main event. First, mute the sound. Just trust me on this one. Next, run TGB and load the primary game by going File-->GB1-Load. If the game doesn't load the right save file, make sure you link TGB to the right save folder as discussed in Step 1. Load the secondary game by going File-->GB2-Load. A small window will popup next to the main TGB window. Don't forget the controls for GB2. When both games have loaded successfully, go through the in-game trading process. (It's easy to figure out, so I won't go over it here). Once you're done, access the in-game menu ('Enter' for GB1 and '\' for GB2), and go down to Reset. The games will reset, and you'll be outside of the Link Center with an updated Pokedex and the traded Pokemon in the respective parties. Save the game as normal, and close TGB.
Step 5: Rename and Replace
With the trading done, go back into the save folder and change the extension on the secondary save back to .sav. Now, if you are using VBA on your computer, simply copy and paste the updated files back into the same directory as the ROM. If you are using Masterboy, plug in the PSP, activate USB, navigate back to '(Drive Letter)/PSP/GAME/MasterBoy/Roms GBC/SAVE', right click the archive and scroll down to 7zip-->Open Archive, and drag and drop the updated file into the archive, answering yes when asked if you want to overwrite.
(If VBA gives you a warning when you try to run the ROM after a trade, just click 'Okay' and the game will load fine.)
Step 6: More Trades
Simply follow Steps 1-5 again to make more trades. Just remember to back up your save files before starting.

I follow everything perfect although I'm a little confused about the part I bolded. I know it should be easy, but that's the only thing I can't seem to get.

Need some help asap!

P.S. I'm a Vista user.

EDIT - I have the same problem when I load the games on VBA. Doesn't read the .sav and says I gotta start a new game. HALP.

DOUBLE EDIT - I now have Yellow loading and working fine, but Crystal's .sav still isn't being read, it still asks me to start a new game. I'm so close, anyone??

Btw, Crystal loads up fine on VBA, I figured that out. Is there a differant way I can try this with the VBA's .sav?

Last edited:

LUIGISGHOST

I joined this forum just to help you out. I just got over this same problem. It is a pretty simple fix.

The trick is you cant just copy your .sav file. This is what I recommend that you do:

1) Load the game into VBA

2) Go to File > Export > Battery File

3) When prompted save this file in TGB's saves folder. It should be saved as a .SAV(all caps)

4)Try loading this file into TGB and it should give you the option to continue.

This worked for me. Let me know if it worked for you too.

Explosives

I really appreciate the help, one problem though. I actually tried Exporting the battery file directly to the save folder before I saw your post; still get the new game problem. I've even created a new folder altogether and re-directed where TGB pulls the .SAVs from, no luck.

I'm starting to think there may be a problem with my Crystal, for whatever reason. This isn't happening on Yellow..

Any other suggestions?

Edit - forgot to mention, I've tried saving in-game on VBA before exporting the .SAV, just in case, but I get the same results.

Last edited:

Explosives

Holy shit, finally solved. I still have one more problem though, I can't load my new .sav onto VBA. :|.

Have eveything working now, thanks for the help, this can be locked.

If anyone reads this later or has the same problem, shoot me a PM (Or post here if the thread's still up).

Last edited:

LUIGISGHOST

No problem bud. I'm glad you got it working. It can be a pain but its worth it in the end.

Like Explosives said above if anyone needs help on the same problem I can try to help you too.

montpics

Have eveything working now, thanks for the help, this can be locked.

If anyone reads this later or has the same problem, shoot me a PM (Or post here if the thread's still up).
Doesn't need to be locked unless you really want me to (just PM me if you do). :D

Hopefully this thread might help other people who are having the same problem.

vbadude

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as Explosives. I'm trying to link between Silver and Yellow in TGBdual.
I see you have figured out how to do so. So my question is;
Can Anybody (Explosives or LUIGISGHOST) explain how I link with TGBdual.

Btw, When I load Pokemon Yellow in Gameboy 1, it allows me to continue my game.
When I load it in Gameboy 2, it doesnt :(

Thanks in Advance!

AaronRenfrow

I hate to bump such an old thread, but this is still top search on google for this problem and I could really use some help with it. I am having a very similar problem to the OP and cant do anything to solve it. I am trying to trade pokemon on a pokemon red save file to evolve them. I am using GBC AD+ as my emulator on IPod. I found the .sav cartridge files and moved them to the save folder for TGB dual. I am positive it is the right file because when I remove it from its folder, the continue option is no longer available and the load screen and when I replace the file it is there again.

I have already configred TGB Dual to pull saves from the right location and it loads the rom just fine, but for some reason it does not load the cartridge save with it. Anyone have a solution? Here are some screenshots of my problem if it helps. http://imgur.com/jGWNV6l
http://imgur.com/pgyI2b2

The first is the default folder of TGB Dual and the second is my save folder. In both you can see TGB dual running with the rom loaded but no cartridge save available.

Nimrok

Im having a problem where the save files are there with the roms and I tried it once and the save game was there and now I cant seem to load it in ether the vba or tgb duel can some one help maybe walk me through it Im will to restart my whole game because I have to anyway