2600 backwards emulation

Rob-o 1167

Total newbie, and would search the archives here if I knew exactly what to search for. Just curious if people were taking roms and then somehow building a cart that could be used on the 2600 console.

I ask for a few different reasons. The first is because when I was a kid I had a neighbor who was an Electrical Enginner and he made carts for the kids in the neighborhood that had a little chip holder on it. You had to sacrifice a cart so he could build it (Combat was the usual sacrifice). Then you could just buy 'chips' that the roms were stored on for a few bucks. The second reason I ask is because while I have an emulator, I'm not sure how to get an Atari joystick to work on my Mac or Windows based machine. I do however have a 2600 console that is in working condition. Just thought it would be neat to be able to pull those tough to find games and put them on something that could be thrown into the 2600 console.

By the way, this place is great so far. Good to see some many emulators in one place!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You didnt live in CA did you?
rom_cart.jpeg
LOL, ralf is buddy of mine that does this sort of thing. I'm a EE myself.

I'm not sure how to get an Atari joystick to work on my Mac or Windows based machine
This is what I do, see me sig.

Last edited:

Rob-o 1167

That's funny! Nope, didn't live in CA, Detroit. I was pretty sure other people were doing this, but without the Internet back int he day, it would've been hard to build a community.

Thanks for the reply and I'll check out your sig line to see what you do to hook up a joystick.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well it would be expensive to do what I do, there is a lot of costs involved in getting to the point where you can do it yourself. However I sell a base model ( a Do It Your Self ) so to speak. However to be honest its not worth it for one adapter. Interestingly though, my adapter will support 2600, 7800, keypad, driving controllers, track ball, sega 3 button, 6 button, 3d0, and just about any db9 type of controller out there. If you need to find a cheaper solution. Look in to sneskey