Ultimate Retro Gaming / Media Machine - need help

Strike Da Mic

Hi all!

I'm new to the forums, so please be gentle :) I'd like to ask you for some support.

I am planning to build my personal Emulation & Media Player machine, connect it to my AVR, my TV and my network and use it to play Emu games, watch my movies (HD) etc. The device should run a RAID for some data redundancy and hold all movies, games etc. Maybe using an SSD would be a good idea.

Previously, I've used a QNAP TS-409 NAS and my PS3 to watch movies. The lack of MKV streaming from the NAS (PS3 Media Server couldn't be installed on it) and Emu games sparked the idea of an Emu PC.

Now since I'm pretty much of a noob when it comes to Emulation (some slight steps) and Linux (had Ubuntu on my notebook for a mere 1 to 1.5 months), I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I fulfill my task with given means (e.g. existing apps, OS, hardware etc)?
2. Would you choose Linux or Windows? Why?
3. Can I set it so I can have a front-end on start up asking me if I wanna play a game or watch a movie (for example), then launch the corresponding application?
4. Can I control the entire device with, say, a SIXAXIS controller or a X360 controller?
5. Has anyone ever done something like this?

When looking for a GUI, I found Game Launcher - looks neat, but that's only for the gaming.

Can you give me some advice please?

Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited: