MAME, NEORAGE WTF?

xaos_127

Ok ive downloaded MAME and when i open the command line thing it just closes, so i thought watever ill just get Neorage. So when i open it i get that send error report thing and it closes as well. So im stuck, ive downloaded 3 diff metal slug roms and i cant play any of them, HELP ME PLZ!!!! I have no idea wat is goin on.
P.S i have win Xp professional.

Penguin

I had the same problem. Download mame32; it works great for me.

M.H.A.Q.S.

You need a version of Neorage that works on winxp. Get it from some italian site... :).

Zzarkk

Hello everyone. A few years ago a friend gave me NeoRageX with a bunch of roms on two cd's. I haven't used it in a while, but today I tried to install everything on my new computer.
Apparently NeoRageX isn't compatible with WindowsXP?
Well I tried to use Mame32 but everytime I go to load a game it tells me I am missing files. It always lists ng-lo.com, neo-geo.rom, and the other two files in my ngbios folder. I have these files, so I don't understand why it isn't working.
Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

montpics

NeoRageX is not compatible in Windows XP as it last updated in the year 1998, I believe. Pretty old emulator as you would say.

But you can find numerous versions of NeoRageX which was hacked and could run on WinXP now. Search through Google. B)

Zzarkk

Originally posted by robbbert@Dec 10 2004, 08:07 AM
If you've got the files, make a new zip file, put the files in it, and
call it neogeo.zip
I put the four bio files in a zip file called neogeo.zip, tried to run a game, and the same error came up. ????
Some games list even more files than just neo-geo.rom, ng-lo.rom, ng-sfix.rom, and ng-sm1.rom. The window closes too fast though so I can't see them.
THis is all on Mame32 by the way.
Thanks for your help.

hanzmoleman007

In the newer versions of mame, the bios files MUST be included in the actual rom file of the game you want to play, or the game will not work. It used to be ok just to place the bios in the rom file and they would work. But not anymore.
P.S
There are ten neogeo bios files now that need to be in the games, not four or five. So if you don't have all ten they still won't play in mame.

Zzarkk

OK. I have tried and tried and now like a month later I am still stuck. I am now trying to make NeoRagex work on my old computer that it worked on before. However, when I attempt to even open NeoRageX, it says Illegal Operation, etc. Any ideas? (I'm using Win 98.) Thanks.

F

froster1990

There is a program called Rundll32, it is usually the source of those illegal operation, try pressing cntl+alt+delete and force close it, but don't erase it, it's still important.

Zzarkk

Thank you. I've finally been successful with Mame32 on WinXP. I can't use my old roms from NeoRage which sucks but I haven't had trouble finding them on the web. Thanks so much for your help.

I'm not requesting where to find these roms but I was wondering if they actually existed...Rage of the Dragons and Matrimelee? It shows support in Mame and people talk about them but no matter how hard I search...nothing.

montpics

Zzarkk said:
I'm not requesting where to find these roms but I was wondering if they actually existed...Rage of the Dragons and Matrimelee? It shows support in Mame and people talk about them but no matter how hard I search...nothing.
Rage of The Dragons and Matrimelee exist. Both are being included in latest Kawaks version. I'm not sure that both games being added on MAME as well, just because both games is still under 3 years after being released on arcades. :cool:

Both games were using MVS board in which those games were easily dumped and released years ago. :)

Zzarkk

I was able to find a Rage of the Dragons rom. It says "working" on my mame screen, but when I go to play it, it says unable to start emulation. I've done everything just like other roms which work fine.
I also tried WinKawaks, it has the same problem. I could mention the site where I got it from but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that...
thanks.

montpics

The official version of Kawaks should be Kawaks v1.53. So, anything to it would be fine except for the Kawaks Dev v1.48 is not official. (I doubt that was a hacked version)

Did you get it from the Official HERE?

Well, I personally never update Kawaks since v1.41 and I just use Nebula with an edited romdata dat that Rage of The Dragons and Matrimelee works on Nebula. :cool:

Zzarkk

Just to check, all my other roms have a bunch of files that end in .bin, but Rage of the Dragons ends in .rom. I was wondering if this was the problem. Thanks.

Zzarkk

Ok. I got Rage of the Dragons to work on NeoRageX for WinXP.
I also found a Matrimelee rom for NeoRage (all files ending in .rom), but it only sort of works.
The game loads up fine, the controls are fine, sound is perfect, but some of the characters' sprites look messed up. However, like 3 of the characters look perfect. Most of them look choppy/blocky and all over the place, like you can't even tell what you're looking at. Has this ever happened to anyone before?