Site News: Email/Subscription problems (now resolved)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
It's never easy to admit that something is not working right and even so when you miss it for quite some time so here is a small update on a rather large problem we had.

Some of you may have read a few months ago that we underwent a server move. That worked quite well both for Emulator Zone as well for the other projects co-hosted on the server as the new rig was quite better...... this is when the bad thing started.

For the past 6-7 months a large number emails was unable to be processed. That basically means that after you register at the forum, subscribe to threads or use the contact form the server had a high chance of not sending the confirmation mail. The percentage of unsent mails was rather large compared to what was actually sent.

I don't have many details about of how it happened, but from what I got it was part of a bad security configuration between Debian, DNS and the mail server. If you deal with Linux based servers(or server hosting in general) you will probably understand more than me... the important thing is that we were able to detect it.

Now for the good news. For the past 2-3 days the emails seem to work fine(100% compared to before) and are being monitored to ensure that they keep going. Call it lack of awareness for not seeing this earlier or whatever fits you better but the fact is that did cause problems and for that you have our deepest apologies.