Internet Blacklist

GameGirl35

Hi ther guys. I'm sorry that I can't talk why I was out so long but, we might be in for some big time changes to the Internet if the Government gets their way.

COICA

In the United States, a new law proposal called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced last week, and there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media companies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed from the internet and not just in the US.

Please see the following article from the Huffington Post for more information.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-segal/stop-the-internet-blackli_b_739836.html

And if you are a US citizen, please take the time to sign this petition
DemandProgress.org - Petition to Stop the Internet Blacklist!

Robert

The difference is that the USA is run by corporations who in turn own the senators. So unlike other country censorship where they block sites critical of the government, in the USA they will block (and perhaps kill) sites that promote piracy, copying, downloads etc - anything that the corporations think will cause a loss of income.

Most web sites are located in the US, and almost all DNS services are there as well. Without DNS you cannot visit a site unless you happen to know its IP address.