So I purchased...

Zach

Dark Game Studio, from the Bonanza sale ($50 Pro version and bunch of extras)..

Guess I kind of have to make that Text RPG I've always wanted to make now... heh

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I used GDK from them for a company to design a FPS. There code is rather easy to use and IMO limiting and to the point. In other words you dont have much control over their functions. I'm going to guess that DGS is more of a GUI point and click system rather then a API. But if you get to a point where you need to do some coding with it feel free to post that in here and I woudl gladly help. Good luck , its quite fun to develop games.

Zach

I haven't been around in forever... so now the reply is way late.

It's not any kind of point N click stuff. Dark Game Studio is just a package containing various products, like Dark Basic Professional, and other stuff like that.

DB is a command set built in C or C++ if I'm not mistaken, and you can extent it if you know how by writing your own functions/dll's and importing them into your code base.

Dark GDK and GDK.net just give you access to the DBPro commands without having to use the DBPro compiler from what I understand.. like with GDK.net you could make a project in a .NET language (Visual C++ / VisualBasic) and include Dark Basic function calls.. so its like a mix and match thing to use the best / easiest tool for the job.

As for 2D.. yeah you can make pretty much any kind of game you want. Platformers like Mario, CastleVania etc.. or a 3D Game. It's all about how much time you have to learn, how dedicated you are, and how much skill you can develop as a programmer. But it really is a hobbyist language first, which is fine imho.. I'd like to make a 2D scrolling platform game some day, a horizantal scrolling shooter, etc.. Maybe one day something in 3D but its just something I mess with in spare time / when interested.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Just a tip, GDK is really really bad with 2d. If you want to make 2d go with torques 2d game maker. There are many others as well.. GDK is perfect for anyone wanting to make a 3d game. It is best for starters.. Anything advanced and you will be hurting yourself.

Here is a simple game I was working on with it.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=35284036

Last edited: