What is the difference between all these games?

admiralsullivan

Ok, I inhereted all of my cousins old roms.... THOUSANDS of them (all NES) and browsing through the cd's I find that there are many types of the same game... what would the difference be between games such as:
  • Crystalis (U) [a1].nes
  • Crystalis (U) [a2].nes
  • Crystalis (U) [b1].nes
  • Crystalis (U) [b2].nes
  • Crystalis (U) [o1].nes
  • Crystalis (U) [o2].nes
  • Crystalis (U).nes
Its very annoying to have to browse through these roms.... not to mention the hacked ones. Any insight would be appreciated.

-Dave

montpics

Okay these will show some little difference among those roms. Basically all are the same. :)

[a]
This is simply an alternate version of a ROM. Many games have been re-released fix bugs or even to eliminate Game Genie codes (Yes, Nintendo hates that device).

A bad dump often occurs with an older game or a faulty dumper (bad connection). Another common source of ROMs is a corrupted upload to a release FTP.

[f]
A fixed game has been altered in some way so that it will run better on a copier or emulator.

[h]
Something in this ROM is not quite as it should be. Often a hacked ROM simply has a changed header or has been enabled to run in different regions. Other times it could be a release group intro, or just some kind of cheating or funny hack.

[o]
An overdumped ROM image has more data than is actually in the cart. The extra information means nothing and is removed from the true image.

[t]
A trainer is special code which executes before the game is begun. It allows you to access cheats from a menu.

[!]
Verified good dump. Thank God for these!

Hope these will solve your tiring problems. ;)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Detailed info are available in a text file within the Good tools downloads... in most of them anyway.