Dreamcast (nullDC)

redminotaur

Well I got nullDC and I read the readme file but I don't understand the tech language. I downloaded a ROM for Gauntlet Legends but how do i play it? The ROM came with 3 different files. There's .ccd and .sub and .img.ecm. Do all dreamcast ROMs come like this? All the other ROMs I've seen were just 1 file so this is confusing.

Anyways I just need help to start playing.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
.ccd and .sub and .img. are clone images files. Its just a CD image. Dream Cast emulators only ply the discs not iso or disc images. You need to mount these images to a drive with something like daemon tool or burn it to a cd with clone cd.

redminotaur

Ok I got daemon tools pro and I'm trying to use it but I don't really understand how it works. I read their forums but I don't know what they're saying most of the time. Can somebody help me I just want to play this game.

redminotaur

Ok I mounted "NewImage" and it made [2:0 - SCSI] (J:) New. The emulator is running but what do I do?

It has

File
Normal Boot
Hle GDROM boot
Open bin/elf
Load bin/elf

System
Start
Stop
Reset

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
what ever happened to intuitive reasoning?

First you need to configure the cdrom devise to driver letter J. You will find it somewhere int he menus. Than you select

Normal Boot
or
Hle GDROM boot

to boot to the drive.

Now I didnt know null did bin

Open bin/elf
Load bin/elf

That is cool, but in this case you have a clone cd, not a crrwin image so I'm guessing this option is out.

Last edited:

redminotaur

Ok thanks for all the help. At the risk of wearing out my welcome, I've looked through the menu but can't find anything that says cdrom device or drivers. Just plugin and debug stuff. Is this the menu you were talking about, the nullDC menu?

redminotaur

I went around changing options and clicking things I don't understand, if that's what you mean by experimenting. Needless to say, it didn't work. Doing things like that often just makes the problem worse, which is why I ask questions before acting.

Thank you for the video. It helped by showing me that I'm doing it right. The only thing I don't understand now is the ROM itself. I downloaded the ROM, extracted it, and it has three files: CCD, SUB, and ECM. What do I do with these and where do they go?

I tried mounting them onto the virtual drive but only 1 is elligible to be mounted, the CCD. And when I try it, I get the error "Unable to mount image. Unable to access image file."

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Its just an emulator, and they all can be reset or reinstalled. Play with it, it is completely normal.

but ok, now you have a real problem, as in worthy of help, dont be shocked if you get some answers now. That is if anyone reads this far ;)

So you have either a bad image file, or DT does not know how to read the file. CCD is the one you want I'm pretty sure. It should be the biggest file. So you need to find another file or try to test /fix the one you have.

You can try ultraIso its fully free for 15 days. or MagicISO

once you know its a good file try to convert it to another type.

It sounds to me like your all set, just have a bad image file.

Last edited:

redminotaur

I downloaded a different ROM and this time it only has one file, CDI size 500+ KB. I mounted it and now it's acting like a CD is in the drive. It's called GAUNT1 (K:) and it has a bunch of data and video files of the game in it. On nullDC I go to file, normal boot, GAUNT1 (K:) but it just opens the CD to show me the files inside, it doesn't run the cd. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Cool you got a good rom now ;)

now your on the the next problem, unfortunately load a game/rom with dc emulation is not easy and very problematic. After all its just an emulator, its not perfect

Look here and try a few things, let me know if this does not help.

redminotaur

Well I got Chankast now and it seems a lot more straight forward. The chankast manual guides you step by step through the entire process. I'm at the part where you mount the image to a virtual drive but it says the mounted file is supposed to be ISO. But this one is CDI. What do I do now?

Edit: Ok I did some reading on wikipedia and found out that CDI and ISO are the same type of thing so I can convert them. I did some googling and more reading and found MagicISO so I got it and converted the CDI to ISO. Then I mounted it on the virtual drive K, set Chankast to read K, pressed Run>Start and it sends me to the music player (screen with spinning disk). So press Back, then Play, and it says Please insert game disc.

Last edited:

redminotaur

It has two CDROM plugins. Yeah I tried them both. The other one gives me the error "can't read TOC from k: drive"

The plugins are called
CDRom Interface xxx
CDRom Interface aspi

I also tried using an older version of chankast because that's what the manual says to try, but it doesn't work either. It gets me to the "Please insert game disc" part.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well dont feel its you at this point I have 276 DC games and when I tried to use one for an experiment the 1 out of the first 10 worked. Are you after a certain game ( not I'm not suggesting Admins ;) ) or do you just want to play some? Because its more then likely the rip and not you. I would see if you can find some more.

redminotaur

I'm just after the one game really. Gauntlet Legends 1 or 2 I don't care. I don't think 2 was ever made for dreamcast though. It was on Xbox and PS2 for sure. GL1 was on PS1, DC and N64. I tried a bunch of N64 ones but they don't work right. The menu at the bottom of the screen is blacked out in one version and non-existent in another. I tried a PS1 emulator but couldn't get it to work. Now finally I'm onto dreamcast but apparently I'm having no luck here either. Are there Xbox or PS2 emulators yet? lol

Edit: I got a PS1 version working. Woohoo!

Thanks for the help cyas

Last edited: