ISO Images: Are they Illegal?

Dark Roaxis

I've been feeling rather uneasy lately because my CD drive on my laptop fried and I've been wanting to play MechWarrior 3. So I had an idea. Why not make an ISO image and play the game on my laptop via virtual drive? Well, now I'm having second thoughts about it because it may be viewed as an illegal action by the U.S. government, especially sense I'm being tracked by the local IP agency... That's another story all on it's own. o_O
Anyways, if someone could answer this question I would be grateful. Also, sense this fourm doesn't have a PC thread I decided to post here... sorry.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Depends on the EULA that comes with the game. If it allows you to create a backup then you should be ok. However its worth noting that in most cases where a limited licence is allowed for you to back up software it only applies where the backup is on the same media and used on the same device as the original.

It seems highly unlikely anyone would take issue with you having ROM or ISO images of old commercially defunct games, its simply not worth the cost of taking action against individuals running these old games for personal consumption, if your PC is full of ISO's for the latest consoles, or you are sharing the games via torrents then its more of an issue.

Dark Roaxis

Thanks, I was worried because of the EULA contract. Now I can hook up my other pc and hopefully blast a few Thors. Thanks!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hi
As you can see more and more people are downloading games online down. So that "illegal" is a relative word and can't be 100% sure!
i also want to added about the downloading, copy and backup service: There are serveral sites providing such download services. They are very excellent on the contents, not only Complete big Wii games like Metroid, Super-Mario and Guitar Heroes etc. But also many movies, Wii tv shows, music and videos much more!All you need is to join one of those sites to download so many resources. So you can download all those media as you wish!While it can't be Free. Think about it! People need capital to run more and more resources for you! Just a little money can be valueable for you to download all those abundant resources!

Illegal isn't a relative word. Any website offering copyright material without the express consent of the copyright owner is operating illegally. The games and particularly the music industry are becoming far more pro-active about monitoring, identifying and prosecuting people who redistribute games and music illegally online.

We do what we do so its difficult to discuss it without being hypocritical, but in terms of old games, it is generally not worth the cost of prosecuting people where no-one is actively making (or losing) money from it...this however doesn't make it any more legal than downloading the latest Wii game.

In terms of services offering current comercially available games, music or anything else without the copyright holders consent its no different legally than going to a games store and sticking the latest game inside your jacket and walking out with it. My advice would be don't do it. If its available in the shops, support the industry and buy it, if you can't afford to buy it then its really up to the individual wether they are happy to commit theft or not.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The terms of use of most game companies don't permit you to have copies of the games even if you own them.

SEVENFOOTSWORD

Very Interesting. I'm lucky I have all the games I play and a working drive. OP, you should definitely get a new drive. I bet you could find a used one for 30-40 bucks.