Should I start banning people who claim to have 360/PS3 emulators?

YES OR NO

• YES

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • NO

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I vote yes! Not like you can expect then to read a rule, even if its plastered on there forehead.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Its a double edged sword. I would definitely be in favour of banning numpties claiming they have a working 360/PS3 emulator as it causes confusion among the uninitiated, wastes peoples time, will inevtiably generate pointless support requests etc.

However the other side of the coin is that there are likely to be a number of excited but otherwise harmless users posting here after seeing shill vids on Youtube and not realising that they are fake.

I would be in favour of a warning followed by a ban in cases linking vids and outright bans to any users claiming to have it working.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
However the other side of the coin is that there are likely to be a number of excited but otherwise harmless users posting here after seeing shill vids on Youtube and not realising that they are fake.
Hey now, you can mix flipping coins with reversing swords? LOL

This is true, but do we really want that kind here? I truly do like a forum with a lot of members, but a lot of good members. I hardly ever have a question anymore and feel I give more then take on this board. So in that I'm a bit biased I will admin. I do love to help where I can but get sick of people that jut cant take the time to read or think before posting. Granted you cant stop that, but things like this help and that I'm im favor of.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
TBH mate in the main, people looking for support are going to be people new to the scene or kids looking for freebies. I'm all for banning people who don't heed a friendly warning but I think an immediate ban would also catch out the uninitiated who might otherwise be perfectly good users.

You're obviously not familiar with the ancient coinblades we use over here in blighty!. :msn_tongu

onewecallgod

You know, I think a thread close and an infraction is good enough. Seems like the people who I infract, but would've rather banned, don't seem to come back anyways.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I voted yes, but is there really much point? I haven't seen anyone claiming that they did have Ps3/360 emulators. Why? Is that like the latest bot advertisement fad? Or is it like a rogue link to a Malware infested website?

Lukong

NO cause at first I thought there was no good PS2 Emulator or the DS roms were all corrupted and I was look for the next NO$GBA emulator for DS, but I tried and found them someone out there will have a PS3/Xbox 360 emulators its just that it may take time due to the fact that the newer the system the harder it becomes to work. YES cause I heard NO$GBA 2.7 was coming out and then I was informed that the NO$GBA 2.7 was a fonney.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Ah, All right. Thanks for answering my questions. Yeah, you should totally ban them, it would just create a flood of new members with the same question.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
NO cause at first I thought there was no good PS2 Emulator or the DS roms were all corrupted and I was look for the next NO$GBA emulator for DS, but I tried and found them someone out there will have a PS3/Xbox 360 emulators its just that it may take time due to the fact that the newer the system the harder it becomes to work. YES cause I heard NO$GBA 2.7 was coming out and then I was informed that the NO$GBA 2.7 was a fonney.

The point is that there are currently no 360/PS3 emulators that play games yet people persist in posting links to fake vids pretending to have working emulators. Some people seem to get off on that kind of thing.....no idea why since it just makes them look like mugs.
When/If there is progress in the 360/PS3 arena then it will be a valid subject for discussion, for now though it just clutters the boards with people talking b*ll*cks and spreading misinformation which is why users spreading that misinformation need to stop or begone.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
From wiki : ps2 CPU 300 MHz

From a source about the wii
Acording tho the Nintendo Wii Wiki. The Wii comes with either of the two processors listed below.

CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly? clocked at 729 MHz[56]
-or-
GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[57] reportedly? clocked at 243 MHz[56]

Both of these are some what emulatable on a 2 gig + system with dual core.

---now---

ps3: CPU 3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs

360: cpu 3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon

.. pause... as you can see it takes 3 times the computer to emulate the wii or ps2. WHAT THE F*CK makes you think it will emulate a ps3 or 360. Get a friggen clue people! Ok maybe due to the fact xbox's are a computer in a box, but using high level emulation not a change.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
From wiki : ps2 CPU 300 MHz

From a source about the wii

Both of these are some what emulatable on a 2 gig + system with dual core.

---now---

ps3: CPU 3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs

360: cpu 3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon

.. pause... as you can see it takes 3 times the computer to emulate the wii or ps2. WHAT THE F*CK makes you think it will emulate a ps3 or 360. Get a friggen clue people! Ok maybe due to the fact xbox's are a computer in a box, but using high level emulation not a change.

Its because most people don't understand what's involved in making an emulator. The fact a system has to be reverse engineered and then coded so a PC does exactly the same things using no proprietary code, emulating all the consoles hardware functions in software. Todays machines could technically run PS3 and 360 games, but not on an emulator and anyone writing code that simulates rather than emulates (which is the only way to achieve it) would be sued off the face of the earth by Sony/M$.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I would never expect a newbie to go in to that type of detail. Its very common knowledge that you need a powerful computer to run an emulator. Sure some wont know that, but by in large its not high level science. If a computer game does not run well , changes are your under powered. Same goes for emulators. If a p2p is struggling on a 3 gig system, a ps3 is not going to be any better. Its simple math, nothing hi tech.

Not that I disagree with you, or wanting an argument, just sustaining my post, and my point. Its nothing complex.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I would never expect a newbie to go in to that type of detail. Its very common knowledge that you need a powerful computer to run an emulator. Sure some wont know that, but by in large its not high level science. If a computer game does not run well , changes are your under powered. Same goes for emulators. If a p2p is struggling on a 3 gig system, a ps3 is not going to be any better. Its simple math, nothing hi tech.

Not that I disagree with you, or wanting an argument, just sustaining my post, and my point. Its nothing complex.

Yep. I agree. It will be a fair while yet before there is tech that can handle it, if ever since the future is in multiple cores now the thermal barrier has been hit in terms of speed. it means the approach to emulation will have to be different to just waiting for processor speeds to catch up as it has in the past.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
it means the approach to emulation will have to be different
You mean to go back to the way it was prior to ultraHLE, the dawn of high level emulation. True opt code handling and read, the way it should be done. Though, total respect for those that have gave us these emulators.

Dathgale

Yep. I agree. It will be a fair while yet before there is tech that can handle it, if ever since the future is in multiple cores now the thermal barrier has been hit in terms of speed. it means the approach to emulation will have to be different to just waiting for processor speeds to catch up as it has in the past.
Wouldn't it be easier to just post an announcement like this instead of hunting down every post that has misinformation in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.