360 emulation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transbot9

Yes, yes, one doesn't exist.So if you were planning on raving at me about their non-existance, I already know that. Moving on...

Vista (and, consiquintly, Windows 7) use the same programming code for" Games for Windows" as what is used for games on the 360 (info from Microsoft.com). That is why there are quite a number of 360 games released on the PC - it is relativly easy to 'port since the entire game doesn't have to be reprogrammed.

While I am not a programmer, I can't help but to think that there should be a way to exploit the similarity. However, it hasn't been done. Out of curiosity, what sort of safeguards would prevent this from happening?

demonluo

Yes, yes, one doesn't exist.So if you were planning on raving at me about their non-existance, I already know that. Moving on...

Vista (and, consiquintly, Windows 7) use the same programming code for" Games for Windows" as what is used for games on the 360 (info from Microsoft.com). That is why there are quite a number of 360 games released on the PC - it is relativly easy to 'port since the entire game doesn't have to be reprogrammed.

While I am not a programmer, I can't help but to think that there should be a way to exploit the similarity. However, it hasn't been done. Out of curiosity, what sort of safeguards would prevent this from happening?
:eek: even xbox w/o the no. 360 doesn't have a good converter so i guess its not as easy as it may seen...

Transbot9

True, although the origenal Xbox is a different beast. Still, the 360 uses a software emulator for origenal xbox games.

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
Its not going to happen in near future, people should try to get over it.

Times before emulation/homebrew porting have been discreased, but is wont go that fast I guess. For a few reasons:

- Extremely hard and a lot of work for a homebrew person. We do not have certain information microsoft does have and neither does anyone of us have the money or the skills.
- Money, Its not work the worth for people like us, because we won't get money enough to make it profitable.
- Even when you could finish a project, Microsoft will cut it down quickly. The only reason why emulating is alive is because for example nintendo doesnt care for one bit if we emulate the older consoles, about half of microsofts profit (uneducated geuss) depends on xbox sells, so they will catch you.

so no I wont see it happen, except the possibility a lot of leaks will come to existence at Microsoft, which could make it a lot easier for programmers.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum

The difference is architectural. 360 games are coded specifically to work with and address the 360 hardware and architecture, PC games are coded to work with and address the varieties of PC hardware which is why 360 games don't work natively on a PC, the fact they are programmed using the same code isn't really that relevant. Modifying the game code to make them work on a PC isn't emulation (and would see anyone caught doing it sued out of existence), so to run them natively the PC has to emulate the hardware architecture of the 360 (not software) which means its strictly speaking no easier to emulate the 360 than any other next gen platform. Its the hardware not the software that the PC has to emulate and this needs to be reverse engineered and achieved in the same way other emulators have done it in order for the emulator authors not to breach copyright, and there still isn't a home spec PC fast enough to emulate all the chips in a 360 (they still struggle to do it for machines like the Saturn).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.