Site hacked...lamers

Zach

I am assuming this happened recently... as no one has e-mailed me anything or told me that something was wrong with my site..

some fags slipped in some shit newspost about some modern warfare2 website/forum, modified a CHMOD 644 file (shouldn't be possible to edit it from public) and changed my site title..

fags.. oh well... waiting to hear from my web host about when this happened and how..

Zach

looks like the culprit was CuteNews.. got an upgrade warning, but then on their forums someone posted about several exploits in even the newest version...so wtf..

Guess I should hunt down a new script that is secure, or just switch to a secure CMS or something.. I dunno.. It just ain't simple these days.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I should hunt down a new script that is secure, or just switch to a secure CMS or something.. I dunno.. It just ain't simple these days.

May I suggest Etomite? I used it in the past and it's quite flexible with what you need to do. Templates and content split along with php code running in if you like. If you dont like that you can always go for the Joomla approach....

If you just need a news script combined with a forum then SMF is your solution.

Zach

I have raw access logs, but really have no desire to crawl through them.

Especially because I do not know the approximate time it happen, much less the actual date on which it happened. And I have no idea how to filter out an offending log entry vs the normal list of crap in those files...

I'm gonna setup SMF Forums + SimplePortal for SMF on a local server and play around. It looks like it will be a nice project to keep me busy.. Then at least I have the reliable security of a forum that is actively patched and developed. Not sure what I'd do with a forum though, never was popular when I had one.. But SimplePortal will take care of hiding it well enough I guess, with the addition of custom pages, etc to look like a real site..

The real challenge will be surviving the skinning process without killing myself.. I hope to at least be able to make things look like my current site, or a new theme based off it... a long road ahead though.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Go for Etomite then. Once you learn to use the template system you will love it. It can also intergrate well with "external" news systems such as SMF's news feed by just adding a small piece of code.

If you can really work with the tinyportal approach then go ahead but just one tip though, SMF 2.0 will go final version soon so wait a bit for that if you want to use it to avoid making a new template again.