How do I get Killer Instinct 2 to work on MAME?

james4218

I have downloaded the Killer Instinct 2 ROM and also the NEOGEO Bios and also the .chd file.

I have put the Killer Instinct 2 file in the ROM directory along with the NEOGEO Bios and made a sub directory called kinst2 and put the kinst2.chd in that.

It still says that a file is missing when I try to run it. What else do I need?

Thanks

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Killer Instinct 2 isn't a NeoGeo game so the Neo bios is irrelevant. You need the game rom and CHD. If you have both and mame reports you have files missing then your source is hosting out of date roms and you need to source them from somewhere that has up to date one's.

If you check the MAWS website against the files mame is reporting mising you should be able to see if its the rom, CHD or both that are missing files.

Make sure your Killer Instinct 2 rom is the parent rom (Killer Instinct 2 v1.4 - kinst2.zip), also make sure your CHD folder (kinst2) is in the mame/roms folder and that the CHD inside it isn't zipped.

Last edited:

get free

I have this same problem. killer instinct 2 works well on mame 0.71b but on version 0.135 it doesn't.
It says there are missing one or more files.

I have kinst2 v1.4 and the CHD file of course. As I said, the game work fine on mame 0.71 but it does not on latest version of mame.

What is the problem?
I cant find any newer version of the roms.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I have this same problem. killer instinct 2 works well on mame 0.71b but on version 0.135 it doesn't.
It says there are missing one or more files.

I have kinst2 v1.4 and the CHD file of course. As I said, the game work fine on mame 0.71 but it does not on latest version of mame.

What is the problem?
I cant find any newer version of the roms.

You've answered your own question so you're obviously aware of what the problem is. The roms (and CHD's) have been updated since v0.71b of Mame so you need to find a more up to date source for them.

This sites AUP forbids linking to or discussion of romsites so use your search engine of choice or carry on using 0.71 if it works for you why change it?.