Game isn't fully emulated?

NorseChief

There are some mame games that say the game isn't fully emulated as a result of being protected or something like that. Examples of such games are Sunset Riders, Primal Rage, Mystic Warriors.

Will these games that are not "fully emulated" be fully emulated sometime in the near future?

What exactly does that mean? I mean, does that mean it isn't exactly the same game or it is missing something? I am a little fuzzy on this.

Could somebody help me out?

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'm no mame dev, but from what I have gathered it just means there are parts of the game that dont work. Like a stage, or the ending. In many cases its good enough to play. The mame dev plan is to emulate everything fully so yes they plan to, but who knows if they ever will.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
There are some mame games that say the game isn't fully emulated as a result of being protected or something like that. Examples of such games are Sunset Riders, Primal Rage, Mystic Warriors.

Will these games that are not "fully emulated" be fully emulated sometime in the near future?

What exactly does that mean? I mean, does that mean it isn't exactly the same game or it is missing something? I am a little fuzzy on this.

Could somebody help me out?

Varies wildly. There can be vast parts of the game missing, or it could simply be innaccurate colours on a particular sprite. Usually it refers to the game having chips that either aren't understood or emulated properly, or the original board the game was dumped from having protected or non working chips that couldn't be dumped.

MameDev have a 'done when its done' ethic. Each member works on what they like when they like so a game being worked on and improved or fixed is entirely dependent on there being a dev who wants to work on it at any given point. Some are fixed in weeks, some have been incomplete for years.

The very best way to ensure something won't get worked on is to ask Mamedev when its going to be fixed. :msn_wink:

NorseChief

My favorite MAME game hands down is Sunset riders ;)

You know perhaps if anything is missing from that game like a level or something?

Or is it pretty much exactly the same thing as the actual arcade game even though it isn't fully emulated?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
From MameInfo

Characters judder when walking diagonally

This would appear to be the only issue referring to the video emulation isn't 100% accurate.

All versions and revisions are the same so it would be an issue with the underlying driver and/or bios rather than a board fault.

Last worked on in Feb 2004!.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
alot of people confuse bits of sunset riders with wild west c.o.w. boys of moo mesa