Make an NES Emulator game

Layoric

How do you make an emulator game of an old NES game? Is there a previous thread or sticky that addresses this?
How do they get the EXACT same game to be transferred to a PC?

Thanks

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
There is an outside unit that can take the info out of the Ram Cartridge and make it into a ROM Image, similar to an ISO, but things like those are exceptionally rare,

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Layoric, are you talking about a home brew game, or a game?

A game, I'm hoping you understand, is a dump from the original ( not made ) AKA a rom. A hack is , just that, a hacked original. A home made game is where someone used parts of a Rom to make a game on there own. What is it you're after?

Layoric

I'm talking about taking an existing NES game and making a PC version. How did these games get made?
How did MegaMan get converted to be played on a PC and it is EXACTLY like the old NES game. I mean the timing of events, how you have to jump, etc is all the same. How do you do that?

Thanks

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Layoric, You need to tell us what "these" are? If you are referring the the rom file, you have a lot of reading up to do....

Going out on a limb here and just taking a wild guess that you have no clue whats going on. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but your questioning leads me to think your not getting it..

A person takes a cartridge, say Zelda for the nes. and puts it in to a machine( a rom dumper). All this machine does, is reads the contents on the cartridge and dumps it to a file. Then some genius writes an app that reads the cartridge just like the original nes did ( an emulator ) and converts is to , for lack of going in to detail, computer talk. So in essence, and emulator thinks its reading the original cartridge buts its actually a file.

help any?

Last edited:

Layoric

Going out on a limb here and just taking a wild guess that you have no clue what's going on. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but your questioning leads me to think your not getting it..

While direct and blunt....you are exactly right!

What is a rom dumper and where do you get one? (Didn't know such a thing existed)

Are there any online applications that can convert the extracted information or is all that built from scratch with C++ or some other programming language?

Are there any tutorials online for building an emulator game?

Thanks.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
While direct and blunt....you are exactly right!
- Well sometimes you have to be ;)

What is a rom dumper and where do you get one? (Didn't know such a thing existed)
- name the system ? a n64 version

Are there any online applications that can convert the extracted information or is all that built from scratch with C++ or some other programming language?
Hmm, a rom is a binary hex file. So to do this you first have to get it to assembly language, then you need to disassemble that. In short, your not going to do much with it unless you know assembly.

Are there any tutorials online for building an emulator game?
There is no such thing is an "emulator game" but you can hack a rom, tuts for that out there. Making an emulator would require what I mentioned above and c++ windows dev no how.

Layoric

I want to make an old NES game. They are pretty much all done, but I'm interested in how they do it, gathering the old code off a NES game cartridge.

Is there a community of people who did this, any forums for discussing how to create an emulator game or are these forums for that?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Layoric, I want to help you but you have to make sense here buddy..

I want to make an old NES game. They are pretty much all done, but I'm interested in how they do it, gathering the old code off a NES game cartridge.
- Again there is no game made... You copy the cartridge on to you computer. This is known as a Rom, you can buy a dumper or find the ROM your self. We cant help you find roms here, its against the rules... use google ;) Once you have the rom you need an emulator to play it. EVERY!! game is available, trust me I know I have all of the older game roms on my computer DreamCast and below. . ( there are a small few roms that are horded )

s there a community of people who did this, any forums for discussing how to create an emulator game or are these forums for that?
- For a forum about finding roms, we cant help with, but for creating an emulator, trust me your not going to be able to any time soon, study up on assembly and c++ development.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The existing NES roms that can be found online were all dumped from original cartridges (in most cases a number of years ago) by a fairly small number of people who had access to copiers.

Once the data is extracted using a copier, the copier could be connected to a PC and the game files copied over.

People then wrote emulators in various languages that could re-interpret these game 'dumps' and display them in their original state on a PC.

So the game dumps are still native (they could technically be copied back onto a NES cartridge and played on a NES), its the emulator software that does all the clever stuff in reading the game rom and making it run on PC hardware instead of a NES.

Layoric

So then would it be possible to take the existing code from an emulator game and manipulate it? Since acquiring a copier doesn?t sound possible and maybe illegal(?) Could you take an emulator game and edit it or modify it similar to how people mod games like Quake or Half-Life?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Yes, its called romhacking. If you google that there's a big community of people who modify game roms for loads of systems (including the NES) to change, enhance or completely re-invent old games. There are also people who perform translations translating previously Japan exclusive games into a variety of languages including English.