Network without the internet

Ana

I want to network to Laptops without the internet can I do this also I want some kind of Chat program that does not use the internet. The to Laptops have windows XP with Sp2 if I get this to work I know more people that want to do this where I live.

Zach

This is easy if your router has decent options.

On my router for example, on most routers you can accomplish this in several ways.. What Brand / Model is your router? I could probably look it up and do step by step instructions for you if I can find the right info..

Otherwise.. You want to look for access control options.. For instance, MAC filtering or setting up custom IP based filters, etc..

You can allow access to the network, but deny access to the Internet this way. We do this with our Networked laser printer that we share.

Another way to do this is to use a Hub (A Hub is different from a router) but that is more complicated to setup if you are not familiar with setting manual IP's and domains, etc..

The easiest option is to buy a cheap Wireless router and use it specifically for the laptops. Then all you do is simply not plug the router in to an Internet connection/Modem. Otherwise, setting custom filters on a router you already use is the next easiest step..

As for chat programs.. don't really know about that one, I haven't used them for a long time.. You could use Microsoft Netmeeting or something similar that lets users "host" chat sessions and people connect by IP address.. Then all the people on the LAN have to do is type in the LAN IP of the computer hosting the LAN chat session.. Probably much easier programs/ways out there but I honestly don't know much as I don't use these kinds of programs.

Last edited:

Ana

Thank you for helping me you are so nice.

I got a SpeedStream 6520 Series Router.

Zach

Ok I think I found the manual for it.. When I have some free time, I will try and see what I can come up with.

Zach

Well I found a manual, and I've never seen a router setup the ways yours appears to be.. Not that its a bad thing, it has some interesting features, they just lack proper implimentation.. Like why allow profiles for access when you can only control how much net access, and not block it completely, etc..

In any case.. I think you are going to have the best chance, by setting your firewall mode to Custom (it says this is required) and using IP based filters.. Since I have never used the router I can guarantee the necesarry options to block net access will be there..

The manual outlines everything pretty easily too, so if you actually have a real copy handy you can consult that, or I'll go back and find you a link..

There's not too much I can recommend in this case though.. Other than simply getting another cheap router for the purpose you have in mind - and NOT connecting it to a cable/dsl modem, etc.. You'll get DHCP and automatic network stuff, just no internet obviously..

Last edited:

Ana

I got this router from the same place that I get my DSL from. The book that came with it only showed me enough to get online I could call the help line but that takes forever the last time I called them He did not understand me that good my English is not to clear. I will go look the Manual on my own.

Thanks for your time and and help you are the best :)

jason77

I want to network to Laptops without the internet can I do this also I want some kind of Chat program that does not use the internet. The to Laptops have windows XP with Sp2 if I get this to work I know more people that want to do this where I live.
I really don't have any idea about it.