How to overclock my processor ?

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
I want to raise the speed of my processor from 2.8GHZ to 3.4GHZ as i heard it runs really nice and without problems at this speed.

I go to the BIOS -then to CPU Configuration and when i want to raise the speed it says AUTO and is in white letters which means ,i cannot make any modifications to that option?????????

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ and i heard a lot of people have overclocked it without problems.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Before you do anything if you're looking at Overclocking by around 30% then make sure your power supply and cooling are rated for it first.

Overclocking without knowing what you're doing is a fast way to cook your PC, once chips get around the 3.5Ghz mark they start getting very toasty.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Well i know i have the original cooler which came with the processor so the cooling master its okay. My powersupply is 450WATT dont know if its okay.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Well i know i have the original cooler which came with the processor so the cooling master its okay. My powersupply is 450WATT dont know if its okay.

As a general rule of thumb the stock cooling fans that come with a chip aren't too good for doing significant overclocks. I would ramp up the speed just a few Mhz at a time and check the temps after each OC rather than jumping straight over 3Ghz. If the temp starts going up significantly then get a heatsink and fan that are rated for overclockers.

Zach

This is why I cautioned you about rushing out to buy and buying inexpensive components like a power supply..

C2D's actually OC decently with the stock HSF they come with, despite the crappy Thermal Interface Material that comes on the HSF.. I have my C2D 2.13Ghz running @ 2.6Ghz however thats as far as it will go as the temp maxes out around 65C at load.

If you want to do serious O/C you need to invest in a good HSF that will likely cost about half as much as you paid for the CPU or close to it.. And you'll also have to pick up some reputable thermal paste, such as Arctic Silver's AS5 or Ceramique.

Also you need to google around and read some tech sites who focus on articles for beginners looking to Overclock.. We can tell you what to tweak and mess with and you'll probably be OK, but you really need to have a fundamental education in how the process works so you actually understand what you're doing and can troubleshoot problems on the fly without posting for help on every little problem..

Also if you google for terms like "overclocking" and your CPU or motherboard model, you might get tailored guides for your hardware or at least reviews testing O/C potential - so you know what to expect and what the hardware is actually capable of..

You just purchased this stuff and it would be a shame to completely ruin it because you tried to push it too far, or fried something with too much heat or voltage when reading a guide could avoid making those mistakes..

Not sure if your native language is english, so you might have to look at sites in your local language to best understand things.. Otherwise there are plenty of places to read about overclocking although I don't have any links to particular guides..

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=38

This guide may be a good guide for you to read.. It is very comprehensive and should have a lot of information.

Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Well i needed it to run Dolphin but ,i hadent enable dualcore option there ,but now that i have ,it runs Mario Kart Double Dash at 80% and Cocono Cart Wii at 65 % and the games are pretty playable,so i can go to 3GHZ without doing any harm i guess ,from 2.8 to 3 is not a big OC, so now how should i do it,since my option remains in white letters which means i cannot do any modifications to it?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
As Zach said google your motherboard to find out what bios option unlocks the multipliers and clock frequencies.
In certain cases some oem boards and chips are deliberately locked in which case you will probably need to do a bios flash to open it up.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Tryin........

I will post back.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Just read the P5KPL-AM manual ,and practically its impossible to OC because its locked with ASUS C.P.R Cpu Parameter Recall so i will leave it just as it is cause its not the best ,but is a really nice processor.

Zach

You can't disable that feature?

I would think it would at least allow you to turn it off and then play with the FSB.. usually when something says "Auto" in BIOS it can be turned to a manual mode (page up/down) or changed to manual with an option above it, etc..

I just bought this HSF today.. should be here Thursday

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608002

It's massive, but has gotten great reviews, hopefully it will fit properly on my board and in my case without issues.. I measured and appear to have the clearance required, and Noctua's compatability list says my board is OK too...

Hopefully I will be able to take my chip to at least 3.5Ghz or higher.. I will be happy to hit 3.13Ghz which would give me a full 1Ghz over my Core 2 Duo's stock speed..

Also.. Intel chips are multiplier locked and you can't mod them to unlock them, they've been this way for years although some models I believe were internally unlocked or able to be bypassed by certain motherboards in the past. In either case, C2D's O/C extremely well and the usual method is to just increase the FSB and adjust the RAM divider to keep your RAM in spec. You can also lower the multiplier and O/C with the FSB that way.. This is good for sitations where your chip maxes out but your RAM and motherboard can still be OC'd more, as a CPU on a faster FSB will always be slightly faster than the same chip at a stock FSB.

The best thing is... The HSF I bought will be damn near silent.. It uses the same fan that they sell individually for cases, and I recently bought two of them.. I don't even use the low/ultra-low noise adapters they came with because they are very quiet even at full speed. The loudest component in my system is my GPU, which is overclocked a bit when gaming.. I have the fan set just loud enough that I can stand it.. though I may set it up to reduce the clock and fan speeds so when I'm not gaming I can turn it down lower.

Last edited: