Strange HDD problem!

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Every time i turn on my PC ,a few GB of it seems lost while i didnt add any file or download any or anything. I am in Vista Home Premium. How to fix this ?

Zach

First you need to confirm, this is actually happening.

Start by turning the PC on, write down the space reported (use the same reference every time) then turn it off and repeat. Something like 5 or 10 times. Make sure you write down the space reported for every attempt.

If its clearly going down, then I don't know off the top of my head but I can look into it.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Every time i turn on my PC ,a few GB of it seems lost while i didnt add any file or download any or anything. I am in Vista Home Premium. How to fix this ?

Worth remembering that any Hard Drives reported size will usually be a slightly lower value in terms of actual available space as reported by your PC than advertised. So if you have a 120Gb HDD its normal for the PC to report the available space as 118.6Gb or something like that.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Also check System Restore. That can take up as much as 10% of the drive, which can be quite a lot of GB with today's HDDs.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Well ,its just stopped doing it ,right after installed the new motherboard and processor and so on.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
tell me how u re stealing them ,so i can steal from someone else :)

Zach

Hope you reformatted after putting the new hardware in.

If it were adware/virus junk that would likely get rid of it, but also its best to do a clean and fresh install when changing out major components like a motherboard.