Computer Problem: Which one is best suited for.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Not sure how you can watch anything at 30Hz.. Especially consdering a lot of high def content is distributed to playback at 60FPS

I've had plenty of experience with MKVs so I know what you're talking about.. Sometimes people do crap quality encodes, you gotta find a trusted source / release groups known for quality..

Also.. I don't know if there will be content protection issues or not with some things.. For instance, something encoded with HDCP (high def content protection? high def copyright protection?) requires a display device that is HDCP certified to playback properly..

I was recently looking at a 24" LCD Monitor from Asus that I hope to purchase before or by Christmas time.. Currently its around $220 or so, and is 1920x1080 resolution, as well as HDCP capable. Have DVI / HDMI as well so I could even get a high-def cable box from our company and watch high-def TV without actually having to spend way more on a 24" actual TV, lol..

Zach

But in general, yes.. The card I told you to get (that specific model) has HDMI output. And as long as its plugged into an HDMI input, you will be able to display your PC on your TV screen. A lot of TV's have a limit in the resolutions they allow however, I know my brothers TV will not allow 1080p output from his PC but he plays Rappelz in 1440x768 or some resolution like that, so it's technically 720p instead.

Also a lot of cards have a special TV out mode, where its basically an overlay or whatever, and the picture is output to the TV and the signal is played back at whatever default resolution the TV defaults to / or detects the signal as capable of.. Versus displaying your PC desktop, etc on the TV like a monitor and blowing up a video file to full screen, etc.. That may get you crappier quality unless the video is actually encoded at the resolution you are displaying.. Ie if its a 1080p resolution (Whatever x 1080 pixels) and you don't technically need to stretch the video, etc in the player then it should playback fine with full quality, just go to full screen mode to hide your desktop etc.. Make sure the player is set NOT to stretch the video, and to maintain its original aspect ratio.

I hope I'm not confusing you.. I honestly don't know much about this stuff, but have a very basic understanding of how its supposed to work.
Should display fine.

As far as getting HD sound... If you have a home theater receiver that has the older style RCA input jacks for each channel.. (Basically a shitload of jacks on the back, a left / right RCA jack for - Fronts, Centers, Rears, and a subwoofer output, etc) then you can get full 5.1 surround sound (assuming the MKV's audio track is 5.1 and not stereo) by using several different methods..

Creative sells a cable (I have two sets) that plug into the speaker jacks on my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card.. color coded just like actual PC speakers.. I plug in the 3.5mm Front, Center/Sub, and Rear jacks to the soundcard.. and on the other end of the cable are RCA plugs, with enough of them to create 7.1 surround if your receiver supports it (Side L/R these go bewtween the front and rear speakers in the room) or leave out the side speakers, and connect it in traditional 5.1. So you can game in 5.1 on your home theater, or upmix your music to 5.1 w/the sound cards tools, or even if you watch a 5.1 sound movie, it will all come through in 5.1 sound to the receiver because of the cable and not be a "fake" mode that the receiver often comes with to make virtual surround.

And no SPDIF /Optical TOSLINK cable is involved.. CCCP (the codec pack I recommended) comes with a tool that lets you setup your mixing of sound too.. So it can handle 5.1 soundtracks in MKV's etc.. Even if they are AC3 encoded (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc).

But the mixer also has the option (and your sound card might too I think) to pass the 5.1 signal "through" using SPDIF so the signal goes to your receiver and the receiver decodes it, just like would happen with a DVD player sending the signal to the Receiver.

So there are many options for getting real surround / hi-def sound on your system..

Because one day I will buy a TV specifically to be used for TV, DVD, consoles, AND PC gaming.. I will invest in a receiver that has 5.1 or 7.1 channel RCA inputs on the unit, so I can use the cable if I need to.. Hopefully soundcards that work as they do now, but encode sound to a Dolby signal on the fly and output it via SPDIF/Optical for receivers, will be around and affordable for the average joe.. Then you wouldn't need all the RCA hub-bub and special cables..

Even if you are using onboard sound, and not a creative sound card, I think the cable can still work (we tried it on my brothers receiver, with his onboard chipset, but couldn't get the channel just right - this may have not been the cables fault though).

Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
No you re not confusing me at all. I didnt know anything about HD before i bought my PS3,since then by searching a lot of HD forums ,i learned a few things. I checked my Volume Control in Vista and its says High Definition audio device ,(but isnt HD sound cause when i play music in my PS3 its far too superior quality than my PC),but i tried to play a few movies and only the SINNERS group had awesome quality 1080p Blu ray in VLC.

Last edited:

Zach

Yeah I have an onboard HD Chipset too.. Technically it is because of the sampling rates Onboard HD chipsets support. And some have options either on the board, or through accessories (headers on the motherboard) to use SPDIF / TOSLINK and pass the Dolby signals thru to a receiver.

So that's mostly what its about.. Also Getting good sound out of a PC depends on speakers, and the audio device playing back, and the source.

A lot of audiophiles will tell you that on a top notch audio system, MP3's sound like total shit, even though they might sound good on lower end equipment.. Basically the higher fidelity/accuracy of high-end audio equipment makes the flaws of compressed music more apparent vs low end or mid-range gear.

The best way to test audio quality while eliminating the music as a source, is to playback an actual CD, or FLAC or other lossless file on the PS3 and PC, using the same set of speakers.

Zach

On the sound card front I just discovered this for Creative cards as well

http://buy.soundblaster.com/_creati...ail&category=Software&pid=F2222DDN6Z2H2ADDEZD

So supposedly I can hook my X-Fi XtremeGamer up to a receiver and get 5.1 in games and stuff instead of using the special cable and needing a receiver with a bunch of RCA plugs (I'd personally get one with them anyway)

But its a real secondary option.. The pack is only $5, and an XtremeGamer can be had for $100 or less these days.. (XtremeGamer is the lowest model you want, Xtreme Music is not a true X-fi its a rebadged Audigy 2ZS or something)

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I decided and i only have one question left :

ATI RADEON HD 4550 (512MB) or ATI RADEON HD 3450 (256MB)

Price is almost similar.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Already ordered my system,expecting it to come Monday afternoon,built it my self via internet and ur advices with 260 USD

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.88GHZ
Apache 3GB DDR2 RAM 800MHZ
Graphic card ATI RADEON HD 3450 512MB
Motherboard ASUS with Quadcore Support
Power supply 400Watt

I kept my existing DVD and HDD.

Zach

Hmm, well my only concerns are I've -never- heard of that brand of RAM, and 400W for a PSU should do ok, as long as its a decent brand and you don't try to run anything thats gonna suck a lot of power.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I have Vista 32 bit, but all looks good except the card , that it isnt satisfying me at all ,it can run Last Remnant with impressive clarity graphics ,but the game runs a little bit slow confronting it with XBOX 360 version.

I saw the specs of the game and it needed 512MB VGA,2GB RAM ,2.8GHZ Pentium IV,and 20GB of HDD.

I wonder why it runs slower than the XBOX 360 version,maybe my graphic card needs another update ?

PS. This graphic card supports 1920x1080 maximum resolution,and its great for the videos,but i hoped it was great for the games too.

Last edited:

onewecallgod

PS. This graphic card supports 1920x1080 maximum resolution,and its great for the videos,but i hoped it was great for the games too.
Just because the card supports that resolution doesn't mean it'll be able to draw anything other than your desktop or basic web browsing.

Zach

You need at least a GTX 260 or R4870/4890 to play games in those resolutions with any sort of good performance and graphics details..

Also.. Last Remnant was a good attempt by Square.. MUCH better than their Final Fantasy ports to PC, however they chose what is possibly one of the crappiest engines to do it on.. I cannot STAND the PC version, as I tried the demo, and because the engine doesn't support streaming textures, you get that stupid low quality textures for a brief second every time a new section of the game loads... Very annoying when navigating cities, etc..

I thought you didn't want to run these kinds of PC games anyway? And I'm guessing other resolutions may not look as nice on your TV except for the 1080p mode? My brothers is the same way. If you're locked into one or two resolutions, you have no recourse but the buy a real graphics card. Which is going to cost around or just over $200 USD.

Otherwise you should not be gaming above something like 1440x900, assuming it can even handle that..
I would have told you to get at least a R4850 if you had said you wanted to do real PC gaming, but you said that wasn't what you had in mind, if I recall correctly.. Mostly videos and emulators I think you said..

You have some options at this point.. Turn off Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering, if they are on.. or at least don't run them higher than 2x/2x, 2x/4x, or 2x/8x (FSAA/AF). At 1080p you will not have too many issues with disabling AA/AF altogether anyway, and it should at least be bearable to look at. If your card has options to optimize for speed at the expensive of quality you can try that too.. You also will just have to pony up and turn down the graphics settings in the games you are playing.. If they have an auto-detect mode let them do that - but it may try to fudge with your resolution and stick you in a lower one on some games..

Also your RAM is gonna be a limiting factor in some games, so you'll just have to live with that.. You should have gone with 4GB (2x2GB) so you could run dual-channel mode, and then if you upgrade to 64-bit OS later on, you'd have a little more RAM to use.

Last edited:

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
I just wanted a simple card like the one u told me,if i were to go for real gaming i would have get a NVIDIA HDMI 1GB 179USD at ebay,but i just thought maybe my HD3450 would handle the game :) i was just tryin. Maybe i will upgrade or maybe not,(but about 70% not) as i have downloaded a lot of DEMOS and FULL GAMES from PSN(Playstation Network) and i am enjoying my PS3 now more then ever. At least it can play Gamecube almost100% and Wii about 65% and thats great for me.(talking about HD3450 not PS3 here :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.