Downgrade from Vista

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Hey everyone, sorry Ive been gone. The screen on my laptop so I had to buy a new one and I was kinda of short on cash.

The laptop that I bought came with Vista on it and I want to downgrade to XP, but on the manufacturers sit there is not any drivers for XP.
Basically Im looking for a version of XP that is preloaded with a TON of drivers, so I wont have to look all over the place for them individually.

Im just asking for the name of a version of XP like that, not where to download.

Here is the laptop if anyone is curious.
Thanks for any help and its good to back.

Zach

Have you tried e-mailing them and asking ?

Also... what drivers do you most importantly need? I know you can get drivers straight from Nvidia for example.

If you can ID the manufactuer of your chipset you can probably get drivers from there too..

You kind of screwed yourself by buying a Compaq, of all things though..

How much did you pay?

You could have gotten a way better, probably faster Core 2 Duo, with a shitload more RAM from Walmart or maybe even Bestbuy.

You also screwed yourself by buying from HP..
From the recovery disc order page
Original OS is Vista, but when I downgraded to XP there are no drivers available. Purchase the Vista recovery disc set. HP does not support downgrading Vista PCs to a different OS.

If I were you, I would return that shit ASAP for a refund, say your not happy, etc.. And get a better lappy, even if it means spending a little more.. you would be surprised what $500 - $600 will get you these days.

I bet Vista runs like shit on that machine, especially if it only comes with 1GB of ram like the specs I found say. Vista really isn't all that bad either, its worth using if you have a laptop decent enough to run it properly. My brother downgraded his HP (its nice and not a compaq sub-brand) to XP but went right back to Vista and has used it without problems

Last edited:

Zach

By the way, what do you use it for?

If you play games and stuff.. You won't be happy with any loptop under $1,000 but they have laptops out there that come with very powerful mobile chips..

Just as an example, here is one on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152103

Pretty impressive stats, and the 4850, while not uber, is still a very capable chip for gaming. Anyway though, you can do a lot better as far as finding cheaper laptops, that have easy to find drivers. This book uses an Intel chipset so easy to get drivers, again AMD/ATI for 3D, easy to get drivers, etc..

Pretty sure a good $600 laptop that isn't a Dell/Gateway/HP Compaq, etc will have easy to locate drivers.

Here is a mobile GPU comparison guide.
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=98

Last edited:

onewecallgod

Best bet is just to get the drivers directly from the component's manufacturer since they'll be more up to date, and therefore less buggy.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Well I cant really take it back because I kind of traded some "grass" for it.lol My friend bought a new one so I got this one from him. I really only need a computer for basic stuff web browsing, watching movies and IMing.

I looked on for Nvidia drivers and it says on their site that I have to get the drivers from my manufacturer. The graphics chip is a Geforce 7000m/nForce 610m.

I really dont know the other components manufacturers.

I did find a torrent for a drivers disc thats has like 100,000 drivers on it, Im wondering if it will have the drivers I need.

Here is some of the components
Spoiler »
components.jpg

components2.jpg

UPDATE: Im really stupid. I just figured out that I could just look at the Drivers on the Vista page and then just copy and paste the names and search for XP versions. [if that makes sense] Seems to be going well so far, except I cant find a driver for my Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wireless LAN.

Last edited: