Metal Gear Solid 3:Subsistence

Damnation02

Hi, i'm planning to use one of the PS2 emulators, and i want to ask if anybody here knows how Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater/Subsistence will work on my machine.And, do i need other things for the game, are there any know issues?This is my first time with this, and i'd like to order the game, but if it won't work, it would be like throwing money out the window.

My RIG:
XP Professional SP3
eVGA 8800Gt KO 512MB
C2D E4400 2X2.00GHz
2GB DDRII 800MGz RAM

Thank you in advance.

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
It will run above 30 FPS easily.
Good configs; but I doubt it will run above 30 FPS at optimum graphics settings.

Damnation02

It will run above 30 FPS easily.
Good configs; but I doubt it will run above 30 FPS at optimum graphics settings.

Why, You can set the graphical options?I only used Project N64 so far and there were a few graphical options but they didn't change much.As long as it's playable, it's good for me.It is playable by 30FPS right?I mean most games are unplayable under 20-15-10 so i hope this will work.

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
Yes it will work, do not worry.
I have a laptop with nVidia 8800 M GS, and guess what; It plays fine at low graphics settings.
Your system meets the optimum requirements for the emulator.
There are many graphics options and plugins available for the PCSX2.

I recommend that you read this guide first ----> PCSX2 Guide

Last edited:

Damnation02

Yes it will work, do not worry.
I have a laptop with nVidia 8800 M GS, and guess what; It plays fine at low graphics settings.
Your system meets the optimum requirements for the emulator.
There are many graphics options and plugins available for the PCSX2.

I recommend that you read this guide first ----> PCSX2 Guide

Holy cow!How many things do i need to download for this to work?:D

Wow, guess i need to read up on everything i can.

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
Nah its actually really simple. Do not downloaded the latest emulator of PCSX2.
It did not work for me. Download the one which is mentioned in the guide.

Damnation02

By the way, will this work with a real game?(bought)I mean from a DVD, will the emulator be able to run it or can it only play downloaded games?:unsure:

Damnation02

Yes, both. I create back up of all my PS2 games first and then run them ;)

Honestly, i'm only worried about step 3 and step 4 from the guide.PS2 bios?Creating ISO?I don't have a PS2 BIOS, and doesn't the emulator recognize the ROM's like Project 64?I need to convert them to ISO files?

Damnation02

Ok, now i officially don't know what to do.
From where should i get a BIOS?The guide doesn't mention anything because that's a bad thing....
And how do i create an ISO?I DL'd a game to try it out, but DVDDecrypter doesn't say how to create an ISO, and the guide doesn't mention it neither.Really helpful.

Damnation02

Okay, i managed to get everything together, but whenever i try to run the frist DVD's ISO file, PCSX2 crashes at the start.I see the SYSTEM.CNF not found error.
And it won't let me choose the second memory card.Only the frist.

By the way Auzern, that guide is a bit old i think, a few things were off.:eek:

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
Okay, i managed to get everything together, but whenever i try to run the frist DVD's ISO file, PCSX2 crashes at the start.I see the SYSTEM.CNF not found error.
Refer to this post - Link

OR

Which version of the emulator are you using and your BIOS too?
And how did you create the ISO of the game disk?

Last edited:

Damnation02

Refer to this post - Link

OR

Which version of the emulator are you using and your BIOS too?
And how did you create the ISO of the game disk?

PCSX2 version 0.9.6.
i am able to choose out 4 bios's
EuropeV2.00(15/06/2004)Console
EuropeV01.60(04/10/2001)Console
JapanV01.00(17/01/2000)Console
USAV01.60(07/02/2002)Console

I am not able to choose the second memory card....
I used magic ISO to make an image file,but i didn't edit anything, i just saved it as it was.The emulator crashes right after the sony sign...

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
The guide specifically mentions that you should download PCSSX2 v9.4!
v9.4 worked for me! I was having trouble with v9.6!
And then try configuring the emulator again with the configs mentioned in the guide and then it will work for sure.

Damnation02

The guide specifically mentions that you should download PCSSX2 v9.4!
v9.4 worked for me! I was having trouble with v9.6!
And then try configuring the emulator again with the configs mentioned in the guide and then it will work for sure.

Okay.I downloaded 9.4

By the graphic settings there was no such thing as "GSdx (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3)0.1.8", only "GSdx 883 (MSVC 15.00 SSSE3) 0.1.13" so i chose that.

Now i got another error.Now it let's me select both memory cards, but even if i push the corresponding button on my Xbox 360 controller, the option to format the memory card(s) doesn't pop up.

Oh, one more thing, the game is a two disc one, i just run it as usual, and swap disc when the game asks?

I'm stuck.:glare:

Last edited:

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
Okay.I downloaded 9.4

By the graphic settings there was no such thing as "GSdx (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3)0.1.8", only "GSdx 883 (MSVC 15.00 SSSE3) 0.1.13" so i chose that.

Now i got another error.Now it let's me select both memory cards, but even if i push the corresponding button on my Xbox 360 controller, the option to format the memory card(s) doesn't pop up.

Oh, one more thing, the game is a two disc one, i just run it as usual, and swap disc when the game asks?

I'm stuck.:glare:

Here is GSDX 0.1.8

For the memory cards help; click on Config> Memcards.
Click on Select Mcd and choose mcd001.ps2 from the directory itself and then format and then click on OK and then close the emulator and open again.
Try running the game now.

Yes run it as usual. When it asks to insert another disk. Unmount the image and then mount the 2nd disk.

Last edited:

Damnation02

Here is GSDX 0.1.8

For the memory cards help; click on Config> Memcards.
Click on Select Mcd and choose mcd001.ps2 from the directory itself and then format and then click on OK and then close the emulator and open again.
Try running the game now.

Yes run it as usual. When it asks to insert another disk. Unmount the image and then mount the 2nd disk.

Nope.:(

Whenever i select the mcd file, it won't appear in the window(i suppose it should)even if i select them and format, when i start up the game it asks me to format....

Pic: http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7775/image00341.jpg

Damnation02

Here, watch this for reference - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niUm-AQ-v2U
Is the game working properly atleast?

I did what the guy in the video, i managed to format both of my memcards(they just say "no data" now)I don't know how i did it, i needed to push hundreds of buttons.Now, when i try to start up the ISO with the right drive(Linuzapps ISO)everytime i get the
"Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 Format Disc".....

But after i format i can't go back to the menu, i need to close the program.Because the menu window disappears when i choose to enter the "PS2 menu"....i only see the output screen and the screen where i can format.

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
Thats great.
So now you are running the CD. I will make it simpler for you.
Set you CDdvdRom Plugin to Gigaherz DVD Plugin. Click on Configure and select your drive where you have placed the CD.
After thats done, close the emulator.

If you have made a backup copy then, try mounting the Game image with UltraISO and configure the source drive and then try running the game.