playing windows 95/98 games on xp.

what i have is motocross madness 2 for 95/98/2000. and panzer dragoon for windows 95. what route could i go to emulate these games. i think i tried virtual pc at some point but it didn't seem to user friendly and i couldn't get it working. maybe a few pointers?

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
After installing the game. Try running the game in compatibility mode.
Right click the *.exe file, select properties then compatability and choose Windows 95/98/2000/NT.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
try dosBox, its sorta made for that

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
I thought DOSbox is only for old DOS games... Never knew it play old Microsoft games like Midtown Madness, Motocross Madness, etc...

the fact that newer versions of windows render all of these games useless without pain in the ass hacking is bs. they make enough money. why do WE have to find hacks to make THEIR games work on THEIR operating system. oh thats right. because they want you to buy the new xp/vista compatible version of the GAME. so they can sell you everything all over again.. oh geez here i go.

i'm supposed to buy the new "xplosive" version of mcm2 for xp. and guess what it's 60 f****** dollars all over again. instead of releasing a patch i think we all know they could easily do. but no patch to be found. they want you to buy you're old games all over again (if they even make a new-old one for you that is).

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
the fact that newer versions of windows render all of these games useless without pain in the ass hacking is bs. they make enough money. why do WE have to find hacks to make THEIR games work on THEIR operating system. oh thats right. because they want you to buy the new xp/vista compatible version of the GAME. so they can sell you everything all over again.. oh geez here i go.
- Simple old fusion legacy support. They became successful for being smart. Simple rules like not support older drivers and software made them what they are today. Nobody ever said success comes from good customer appreciation. you only have to hold that impression you aim to help some one, most companies never really do.

I thought DOSbox is only for old DOS games... Never knew it play old Microsoft games like Midtown Madness, Motocross Madness, etc...
I believe is started out as dos only. But most 95 games are dos game using himem tools. They may have support for some windows GUI apps, but I cant say either way.