Magic Engine 1.1.3

Ana

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Na, they do it all the time look at pj64 "donations" yeah right... Same with the 3d0 emulator. Easier to get a way with it on the older consoles.

but, ME is an amazing emulator!! and oh yeah its free, if you know how to use those "search" tools ;)

Personally I dont believe in paying for an emulator.. To each there own..

Zach

There is nothing wrong with Charging for an emulator.

Magic Engine in particular is an exceptionally well-written program and very professional looking. There is nothing wrong with charging money to sell a product you invested many long hours (and potentially money on actual hardware to reverse egineer) of research and development into.

It is 100% legal because a good emulator, like Magic Engine, does not use ANY copyrighted computer code and is completely legaly under the law.

Yes, they made a Turbo-GrafX 16 program. But it does not function the same way internally as the actual hardware. They both DO the same thing, but internally, they do completely different things, to accomplish the same effect..

For instance.. say a company had a copyright on using a GREEN crayon to make the color green.. But another company came out with a Crayon that combines blue and yellow to make the color green. Unrealistic, but for the sake of example, completely legal.

So yes, Ana, the developer of Magic Engine really does own the emulator and all the code associated with it. If this was not allowed under the law, we would all be buying computers from IBM still, would not have the technological progress we do today, and be paying out the nose for junk. We wouldn't be able to buy the "cheap" brand of many expensive products or any of that stuff either.

He sells a virtual machine that can play TG-16 games.. But it is still up to the user to have a legal copy of the game, in a format that the program can load.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Bleem was a big hype back then, it caused a lot of problems. Going up against Sony is not the easiest thing to do. I used it twice, one to see the fuss, and once to try the "new" version ( turned out to be a fake leak, and a virus ) There were better emulators coming about.

Zach

The problem with Bleem was there was a big issue surrounding copyrighted code in the BIOS they distributed with Bleem! or something like that..

I believe they did later fix that, but Sony buried them in court costs, so they could bankrup them, and then bought them out.

Zach

Connectix had good compatibility but didn't have hardware acceleration. Which made it suck in my eyes