An Mp3 Converter

Ana

Hello everyone I need a good MP3 converter that will keep all of my info in my Mp3s. Also I need it to converter info Ogg format :)

Zach

Re: A Mp3 Converter

Honestly, if its already in MP3 format, there is not much point in converting it to OGG Vorbis.

Both are lossy formats, so you are going to lose even more quality if you convert it, because it has to be compressed again, against a totally different algorithm.

I finally made the plunge and bought an IPod recently, which forced me to finally make the decision to start collecting lossless format music, so I am going back and finding FLAC versions of all the music I can in my collection, so I can just store the FLAC files in a media program, and then have it convert to VBR MP3 (sounds damn nice) on the fly when I sync with my IPod.

There really is no point in converting from MP3 to OGG unless you need to do it for compatability reasons - but I don't know why anything you could be transfering it to would not support MP3 playback (although some of the cheaper players don't properly handle some MP3's).

If its just a matter of switching formats for better quality, its pointless - you won't gain anything and you might end up LOSING quality instead.

You should start with a lossless source.. Build your media library from there, and always use a "Media Center" type program to manage those lossless files. J.River MediaCenter or Jukebox are good programs, but there are tons of free ones too, even Winamp has a decent library.. but thier ipod sync doesn't keep Disc # tags when transfering which screws up my multi-disc collections, and the ml_ipod Winamp plugin keeps the tag but DOESN'T support Unicode, which totally screws up my Japanese character albums and song titles.

Once you start with FLAC or another lossless format, and keep everything managed in a media managing program, you will never have to worry about losing tag information again, even when you convert between formats when syncing to a portable Ipod type device.. In fact with JRiver Media Center you can rename your files, and even change the directory they are stored in, in the same operation.. Which is nice since once you get your tag data setup, you can rewrite the filenames to include the tag info you want, and if you ever lose your tags for some reason, simply perform a "get tags from filename" to recover whatever tag info you incpororated into the filename.. It's a real simple system too.

Last edited: