Self-destructing DVDs to help market new film

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
LOS ANGELES--A little-known Atlanta company hopes to change Hollywood's thinking about movie distribution with a novel marketing plan that includes using relatively new disposable DVDs, the company said on Monday.

At the center of the Convex Group's plan is a low budget Christmas movie called "Noel," directed by Chazz Palminteri, that will debut in up to 10 U.S. cities on Nov. 12. On the same day, the disposable DVD can be bought for $4.99 through online retailer Amazon.com.

A little over two weeks later, the movie will air once on cable television network TNT, which Convex hopes will only spur greater ticket sales and higher revenues from the DVDs, which become unplayable 48 hours after their air-tight package is opened.
Source: News.com

This new dvd gives a new meaning to the phrace: "this message will self destruct in 3... 2... 1..." :blink:

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I wonder if you could rip the dvd before it stoped working. That would be cool. You could buy the self-destruct DVD cheaper, then copy it! heh

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Perhaps my post was poorly worded... of course any non-retard could copy a DVD in less than 48 hours, even a lot of retards could... I was really wondering what kind of (if any) copy protection they would use... So far I haven't seen any form of copy protection that could not be circumvented, but you'd think that if they're gonna go to the trouble of making self-destructing DVDs that they'd at least try to keep people from being able to copy them

one another note, it would be cool if they exploded! heh

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Afaik, nothing new. Back before DVDs became popular there was also a move to
make rental DVDs self-destruct. Back then it was thought that this multi-format system
would severly hinder the advancement of the format. Fortunately it never got of
the ground and studio's like Disney, who had thought about using it called of their plans.

I think that system was called something awfully familiar... Divx or something.
(yes, the same name as the codec...)

Robert

Yes the throw-away society has taken on new meaning...

many countries are trying to reduce the amount of garbage, recycling and conservation, and americans just think of more ways to create trash.

DanielW

Originally posted by GHDpro@Oct 25 2004, 01:12 PM
Afaik, nothing new. Back before DVDs became popular there was also a move to
make rental DVDs self-destruct. Back then it was thought that this multi-format system
would severly hinder the advancement of the format. Fortunately it never got of
the ground and studio's like Disney, who had thought about using it called of their plans.

I think that system was called something awfully familiar... Divx or something.
(yes, the same name as the codec...)
yes you are right. you also needed a divx player as the divx dvds would not play in regular dvd players. also the dvds didn't self destruct, but played a certain amount of times. i think it was 5 times before the disc was useless.