Windows 7 an Opportunity for Linux

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
April 2, 2009

By Sean Michael Kerner

Microsoft might be betting big on Windows 7, the next version of its flagship operating system, but to Ubuntu Linux founder Mark Shuttleworth, the upcoming release is really an opportunity for Linux to shine.

Granted, Linux on the desktop has not made as much of a dent against Windows as it has in the datacenter. But Shuttleworth, who is also CEO of Ubuntu's commercial backer Canonical, figures the desktop itself and the applications that people are using are changing in ways that make the coming desktop battle different than it has ever been before.

Read more here.

http://www.internetnews.com/softwar...rth+Windows+7+Is+an+Opportunity+for+Linux.htm

Ubuntu on some Dell Pcs

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

cloud4004

Ubuntu is one of those distros that gets better and better with every version. I'm really in love with 9.04 right now.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Ubuntu is one of those distros that gets better and better with every version. I'm really in love with 9.04 right now.
- Agreed, this version rocks!!

Going to be hard pressed to dent m$, but its making progress.

The only thing windows ever had over other OS's is its popularity. Ubuntu Is the first Distro to acutely make some real progress, next to Redhat. But IMO redHat was messy, and certifiably no competition for windows eas of use. Ubuntu, may get there..

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
it offers a lot more applications and features.

feels more polished than previous releases

the new notification system rocks!

and of course lots of bug fixes.

The biggest software update is OpenOffice 3.0.

It's more about the useful tweaks then anything else..

Just wait until (Kubuntu: Karmic Koala). is out. Strange choice of acronym though..

Last edited:

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
LOL try to set up a emulator good luck. In windows you just click and run in Linux you got to download also of SH!@ and then it may not work or work right.
IF Ubuntu wants to take over they will need to make it easier. All the audio players suck and video players. Also there is no audio equlizer for your music why can't smomeone make one allready?

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
There are single click emulators in Linux, who just install easily ,just like in Windows.VLC is the best audio video player,and the equalizer is in the sound icon in the taskbar ,just check it and you can adjust it the way you want. Well still haven't tried 9.04 ,but i am so in love with 8.10 that i dont want to change it.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I dont think Linux is all that hard? Sure older and other flavors of linux had loops and pits to maneuver through but its getting better all the time. Part of the trouble is just knowing what apps to use. Windows IMO does not come with anything fancy, and certianl not much. Most people just know whats apps they need, like winamp, so If linux was popular then things like VLC would be more popular. Linux on the other hand does come with a lot. The entire idea with Ubuntu is to gain popularity and fix the problem you outlines above, "awareness" .

leon_belmont, you will like 9, especial after the next release. I agree 8 is solid.

Last edited: