Ubuntu 9.04 beta released

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
The Ubuntu developers have released the first beta of Ubuntu 9.04, named "Jaunty Jackalope". The new beta includes the 2.6.28 Linux kernel, X.org server 1.6 and the GNOME 2.6 and KDE 4.2 desktop environments. Performance is improved over previous versions. The release also includes an updated style for the notification system and preferences. While Ext3 remains the installation default file system, support is included for the much debated Ext4.

The Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition beta includes Eucalyptus, an open source software infrastructure for implementing "cloud computing" on clusters, such as Amazon's EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud). Eucalyptus is provided as a technology preview to allow users "to experiment with cloud computing".

As usual with a beta release, use on mission critical production machines is not advised. The developers are asking users to test specific areas of the 9.04 release and provide feedback to improve the final release. The 9.04 beta is available to download now and more details about the release can be found in the release notes. Other versions in the family; Kubuntu, Edbuntu, Ubuntu MID, Ubunutu Notebook Remix, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Mythbuntu and Ubuntu Arm are also being released as betas.

The final (stable) version of Jaunty Jackalope is expected next month on the 23rd of April. It will be followed by version 9.10, named "Karmic Koala", in October of 2009. Ubuntu is sponsored by UK based Canonical Ltd.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Zach

Man... where the fuck do they come up with these names? Are they on LSD when they brainstorm or something?

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
LOL !! I know what you mean.

I have tried Ubuntu 8.04 and I got to say it has some good things but not nothing to talk about the only thing I like about it is you really do not need drivers also you can run it off the CD/DVD but that's all I like about it as for the audio players they ALL SUCK !!! and the Video players THEY ALSO SUCK. also most emulators for Linux suck. The only way Ubuntu would make it is if Windows died.

Zach

Those are the same problems I have keeping me from switching to Linux for non-gaming applications.

Auzern

Emulation Maniac
I have used many distros.
I liked Ubuntu but not much.
The best distribution in my opinion is Linux Mint; Its simple and elegant, the software manager in that is also pretty much user friendly with screenshots based software selection for installation.