Y?

Draco

Hello :)

Why is it so hard to emulate a XBOX as it is basically a PC, A slow one at that. But we can emulate N64 and PS2 that use data thats actually impossible for a X86 CPU to process in one peace even after its converted it to X86 code! :huh: :(

J

Jet Set Willy

Because it's not exactly a PC, some of the legacy hardware is undocumented, and there are internal software issues such as the BIOS which also need to be emulated. It's not impossible, it's being done, but it's not that easy.

Chocho

And no, we can't emulate PS2 yet. If we will, that will be cool, but than we will want to emulate PS3. :D

Chocho

Just think about it! PS2 is a 4 years old console. And we can't emulate it??!! What will happen with Xbox 2? We can't gonna emulate it till 10 years after, or what? :(

Draco

Its odd, the PS1 was relatively easy to emulate as its CPU code was relatively strait forward to interpret in to X86 code, also the GPU was reactively basic and easy to get a PC GPU chip to do the same work and even if it could not do it all some was just passed on to the CPU, even the sound not that hard, also people just ripped the BIOS to make life easy. So all in all the PSX is easy

Unlike the N64 that is a relatively odd system and to run any of the games that were coded to utilize the full 64bit power of the system you have to have a CPU with SSE to map the R4300 register to the SSE stack and many other odd tricks like that. Even the GPU is relatively odd and in many situation companies like Rare were coding the system at very low levels. There is still no fully working N64 emulator out even now.

So if we go by this the Xbox should be relatively easy to emulate as the CPU is just a Celeron and the GPU is a old GF chip. I think it was something close to GF3 but missing the odd bit like the GF2 but also with more pipelines like the GF4. I would like to know the actual problems they are encountering.

What is the best Xbox emulators out? I think ill have to email them and offer a hand, My English may be terrible but perhaps I will finally get to utilize something I learnt at when I was at university.

Chocho

Mine english is terrible too! :D
The best emulator is Xeon, but I was saying, I've been read about X-box Emulator 1.00. I've got that, but I never tryed it. But if you want to try it, I can send it to you in e-mail.

Draco

Hello

Thank you but I already have it, No DVD player though, Do you have the source code to?Also is it possible to get in contacted with the developers at all?

Thank you

Chocho

No, teh developesr are gone! And noone knows anything about Da-Expert Software Inc. (the developers of the emu). I dunno I have the source or not. BUT! I'll try iton monday with Outrun 2! ;) Wait and see... :)

J

Jet Set Willy

The fact that nobody has heard of it, the fact the developers call their selves "Da-Expert Software" and the compatibility claims they make should give you a clue about the emulator.

BeVar

Hello Draco,

right-on... Can hardly wait to see the results U can get with that source code.
With your programing experience I bet U can get it done.

It would be nice to, at least, see some of these new X-Box games run on a PC.

BeVar :)

BeVar

Chocho,

I am not an accomplished programmer like Draco.
I am an accomplished Hardware and software integrator. Basically, I can make anything work if the right software tools and hardware is there.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
If you really want to check out the source code of an xbox emulator then try Cxbx. The source can be found here.

Caustik stated in that page that everyone is free to download the code and try to fix things on their own provided that they know programming.

Chocho

Thx.
And what about Microsoft? What are they say about this emu thing?

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by BeVar@Oct 17 2004, 03:12 PM
Chocho,

I am not an accomplished programmer like Draco.
I am an accomplished Hardware and software integrator. Basically, I can make anything work if the right software tools and hardware is there.
That doesn't even mean anything! That's why you two are annoying me - you throw terms around as if you know what they really mean, and as if you have a clue about what you're talking about.