DVD or Blu-Ray?

JoshM22

Which of these two formats do you prefer? I have seen some really good Blu-Ray programs on Satellite TV, and am amazed with the picture and sound quality. I currently don't own any Blu-Ray titles. I am sticking to DVD for now.

onewecallgod

It's impossible to watch true Bluray quality off satellite; it simply doesn't have the bandwith to transfer that high of quality.

I'll switch once BD burners get cheaper.

Zach

Hands down Blu-ray is gonna be better than DVD when content is made specifically for it. High resolution allows more detail on the screen and more clarity in the picture.

The key here is though, you really need an HDTV to see the benefits of blu-ray imho. If you are stuck with a standard def TV you won't see too much of a difference I think..

I'm currently going back and forth between waiting for players and burners to drop, and hopefully we will start to see DivX Ultra support on them.. Or just getting a newer DivX player like the DVP5990 which supports many external hard drives.

Sick of burning shit to DVD lol.. A Blu-ray full of 25gb worth of DivX would be nice.

Zach

Heh.. Well today I cracked.. rather inefficiently, but was working with the funds I had available..

Picked up a DVP5990 and a Western Digital Passport 160gb for about $60 each.. The passport was marked down.. If I hadn't bought a non-stick pots & pans set for my mom this morning on a whim, I coulda bought a 1TB external WD My Book, although I knew for sure the passport would work with the player..

Tested it out and its pretty nice. 160GB may be small but its at least ten 50 episode Anime series' with a little room to spare..heh

When I have more money in the future for a bigger drive, I can just use axe my music partition and use the drive for an extra 50gb of space.

Haven't tested WMV yet, but it supposedly plays those too.

Last edited:

JoshM22

I actually knew that about Satellite. Atleast I have an little idea of what to expect when I get some Blu-Ray discs. The first Blu-Rays I am going to buy will be Lord of the Rings: Extended Box Set. My dad bought the DVD edition of this box set, and it deserves the right Blu-Ray treatment.I hope the release is done with care, and not just casually thrown together like some Blu-Rays.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I'll be moving into my new house this week and I'm getting everything new. So it will be a Full-HD TV and a Blu-Ray player for me.
I don't really care that much ATM, but since I have to get it new the choice is easy to make.
The only thing I'm still thinking about is building a nice HTPC with a Blu-Ray drive instead of buying a stand-alone player.

shaka

Hot!
Blu-ray ofcourse, better sound and picture quality also nice extras.

Jale

Blu-Ray. Mostly because of its bandwidth, picture and sound quality. Extras? Maybe.

the_EMU_kid

as for now i only have HD ready i stick to blu-ray RIPs burned on dual-layer
when it will be cheaper and more convinient i will pass to Blu ,

JoshM22

I have decided to get The Fifth Element on Blu-Ray. Is that transfer any good? I have seen the movie on HD on cable, but yeah that still don't help me much.This will be the first Blu-Ray movie for me to own.

Last edited:

mudlord

The key here is though, you really need an HDTV to see the benefits of blu-ray imho. If you are stuck with a standard def TV you won't see too much of a difference I think..

You won't see a difference at all. If you can't afford a HDTV, stick to DVD.