Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have experience with WG d9800 arcade monitor?

Default Re: Anyone have experience with WG d9800 arcade monitor?

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the monitor. Having an arcade monitor will make the experience very authentic.

I looked at the list of links and it's something like forty web sites and I don't wanna type them all. However, when I was setting up the Links section on my site about a month ago and I got half-way through the fourth category of links and decided to finish it later because there were more important things to be done. Luckily, the three sections I finished were all about building your own arcade machine from scratch! (the list is in alphabetical order and arcade begins with...) Which makes this unfinished section of the site perfect for the issue you're having now. You'll find the online stores I mentioned before under "Arcade Machines/Parts".

Later on when I finish the section I'll add any more that I can think of, but in the mean time here's about forty arcade cabinet building links. There's also a page full of links at the Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ, but many of them are out of date and give a 404. I may sort through them and add the ones that still work to this page too, if I can find the time.
    Last edited by Jay; March 19th, 2009 at 00:35. Reason: grammar...
    Fun, nerdy videos: Fancy Teeth

The Newb Kid

The monitor came but the four monitor to frame connections are a little wider than I thought. I'd hate to cut/grind any of it down but I don't think I have another option. Oh well.

Thanks for the links. After I get this starter cabinet working I will begin plans for a future cabinet. I want to build a super-nice one some years down the road when I have more experience and research.

Are you going to document your build online?

I plan to post an article about it, but I've put it off indefinitly for now. Money is suddenly very tight around here...

How much wider is it? If you're using an old arcade cabinet and you grind too much on it that may be a problem. Most cabinets are really just sawdust and glue, so be careful.

Abusus non tollit usum FatTrucker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Most cabinets are really just sawdust and glue
    And woodworm.

And mould.

And water.

And spiderwebs.

And dust.....lots of dust.

The Newb Kid

I think you forgot to add horrible smell, and the weight of it had me convinced there was a little concrete in there as well.

I wasn't talking about grinding the cabinet, I meant the frame mounts of the monitor as seen below.

The inside of width of my cabinet is 23-13/16". The monitor is small enough to fit, it's just the stupid frame mounts that stick out 24-6/16". So I need to "remove" about 11/16" total, 5.5/16" from each side. I have to check how far in the bolt holes are to make sure they won't be destroyed, otherwise I'll have to think of something else.

Is there anyway to take the monitor out of the frame? I've seen some cabs where they take apart computer monitors and tvs to get bigger screens to fit. I'm not sure if an arcade monitor works like this though. Seems like you should be able to take the screen and "guts" out of the frame and mount them inside the cab.

This may not work, I haven't messed around with arcade monitors really. I just thought maybe you could take the parts and screen out and reassemble them in the cab somehow.

Be careful, screens on monitors and TVs hold charge after they're unplugged and the shock could kill you even months after it's unplugged unless discharged by a professional. Don't touch anything you don't have to and watch for warning labels.
    Last edited by Jay; March 21st, 2009 at 06:01. Reason: spelling

insulated gloves ftw

Yeah. You'd think I'd have recommended the gloves. I still wouldn't touch anything I didn't have to.
    Last edited by Jay; March 22nd, 2009 at 15:39. Reason: spelling again... I edit more than I post

Abusus non tollit usum FatTrucker's Avatar

I would never go into the back of a cab anywhere near the monitor without discharging it first - simple to do once you've done it.

AFAIK most modern units like the WD9800 self discharge when switched off anyway, but still wouldn't trust it without sticking a multimeter on there first.

Always, always without fail only ever go into the monitor one handed regardless, keep the other one in your pocket.

The Newb Kid

Ok I got it in, not mounted but in. I didn't know my monitor had self-discharge, thanks for that. Xgaming.com never sent a manual with the monitor and I'm waiting to hear back from them. The picture is slightly rotated so I need the manual to fix that as well. Towards the edges the screen gets a little blurry and I'm guessing that's because of the rotation.

I touched as little of the monitor as possible because I was quite scared. I would only touch the back-upper metal frame so that my hands were ONLY in contact with the metal frame. Thanks for the warnings though.

I drilled new holes closer in on the monitor-frame mounts, removed the old bolts, installed new bolts, and then band-sawed the excess of the mounts off. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but once it's covered it won't matter. Now I have to permanently mount it.

Thread Information